Be sure to use clean beaters, too. Leaving streaks in the mixture is desirable as this helps prevent deflation of both the whites and batter which help produce lighter baked goods. Watch these stages carefully, because if you over-beat the egg whites the stretched protein will break and let the water in the whites out, creating a really unappetizing mix of eggy water and foam. Let the whites sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes. What am I doing wrong? Fold in icing sugar and vanilla. After you spread the meringue, then you can take a butter knife a create peaks all over the top before baking. Avoid using plastic bowls for whipping egg whites as they can often harbor traces of grease or fat, which prevents the whites from getting stiff. It's very important not to over-whisk the whites – this will stretch the surface of the bubbles that have formed and they will burst and collapse into liquid. The ideal temperature to whip a common meringue is room temperature, about 70 degrees F. (21 degrees C.). Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1. Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Meringue Roses, Chocolate-Dipped Meringue Sandwich Cookies, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar or ½ teaspoon lemon juice. This helps the bottom of the meringue cook and stick to the filling so it will not slide off the when it is cut. The peaks of the egg whites that rise as you lift should stand straight up (and the ones on the beaters should stick out, too). (Learn more about why you should use room-temperature egg whites for meringue.). If you look at our Lemon Meringue Pie recipe, for example, we list Cream of Tartar as an ingredient for the meringue topping: https://whatscookingamerica.net/LemonMeringuePie.htm. Three times two ounces is six ounces, but six ounces on our conversion chart is 175g, as weights are always rounded up or down. For foolproof meringue, follow these tips: Fresher isn’t always better. Add the sugar at the very end when the whites have formed soft peaks. After reading this, I will now be able to perfect my chiffon cake. Do not stop halfway to take a break. Meringue recipes work better with eggs that are at least 3 or 4 days old. So, for 3 whites weigh out 175 g caster sugar onto a plate and have ready a clean, grease-free tablespoon (see note below on conversions). Place the egg whites into a large, tall bowl and set your mixer to medium-high speed. In her spare time, you’ll find her thumbing through vintage cookbooks or testing out recipes in her tiny kitchen. Why do you add the sugar gradually and not all at once? The ones in restaurants are almost Snow White. Three times two ounces is six ounces but six ounces on our conversion chart is 175g as weights are always rounded up or down. Use a few small dobs of the mixture to secure the grease proof paper to the tray. The meringues puffed up beautifully (and stayed that way), and were lovely and crisp on the outside, slightly soft in the centre. You only need one of these tools in order to whip up airy meringue, and selecting one is like a choose-your-own-adventure novel. Continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form. Meringue may look like it’s made of marshmallow fluff, but it’s actually a sweet foam made from egg whites and sugar. I guess after all these years of randomingly adding my sugar amounts, I had been adding just heaping amounts, not really measuring properly. For optimum volume and smoothest texture, sugar should be added gradually, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Make the meringue first – then prepare the filling (such as pie filling). Separate the whites from the yolks while the eggs are still cold from the refrigerator. Doug, thank you for letting me know of the error in the comment. Remove from oven and carefully place onto a cooling rack. America's most trusted culinary resource since 1997, Copper, stainless-steel, or glass bowls work best, As a general rule, add a total of 1/4 cup of granulated or superfine sugar for. This time will vary from 30 minutes to over an hour depending on how big the meringues are and how baked you want them. Separate 3 large eggs  one at a time, placing each white in a cup or small bowl before adding it to the whisking bowl. This is the type of cooking and meat thermometer that I prefer and use in my cooking. Whisk in the vanilla extract until combined. Transfer the yolk to another bowl. Make sure to read all the tips below on how to make meringue perfectly. Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1. You will find the exact timings for each individual recipe below. To test the consistency of your meringue, lift the beater out of the bowl. The meringue sat on the counter while I prepared the chocolate filling and when I added the meringue to the hot filling the meringue appeared to be breaking down and would not for nice peaks on the pie. I love that you give so much information. Once whipped, the foam from thin whites is less stable because the liquid film drains more easily from the bubbles. More recipies please. Then, while mixer is running, add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, and continue whisking on medium-high … Comments? Heat oven to 180°C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. The secret seems to be to add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, and whisk well inbetween. https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/french/meringues Think meringue is too fiddly or time consuming to make from scratch for a pavlova or roulade? I also sit in front of the oven and watch it like a hawk to prevent offer browning. You can also fold meringue into custard for an airy, creamy pie filling, like in this old-fashioned Nesselrode pie recipe. Add the sugar at the very end when the whites have formed soft peaks. Beat those ingredients together and like magic, they transform into a silky texture that you can use to make everything from this Chocolate S’mores Tart to these gorgeous Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry Meringue Roses. ”. The tricky bit is whisking the egg whites, but the way the meringues are cooked is important, too. Tried meringue before and not had a lot of success, but this was spot on first time. Prepared meringue pies should be stored under an inverted bowl at room temperature. Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. (deployads = window.deployads || []).push({}); Making Perfect Egg White Meringue is much like blowing air into a balloon while whipping. This reduces the chance that a shard of shell will puncture the yolk. Leaving streaks in the mixture is desirable as this helps prevent deflation of both the whites and batter which help produce lighter baked goods. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. I’ve made meringue before, so I’m not doubting the method, but I’m curious as to why. Now you can stay up to date with all the latest news, recipes and offers. Cracking the egg:  Crack eggs on a flat surface, such as your counter top, rather than the edge of a bowl. This must be the most popular egg-white recipe of all, whipped with fine sugar into tall, stiff shining peaks, then very lightly baked so that the surface is crisp and the centre is soft and chewy. That way the accumulated whites aren't contaminated by yolk if you accidentally break one. This is the type of cooking and meat thermometer that I prefer and use in my cooking. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and vanilla until the mixture thickens. For optimum volume and smoothest texture, sugar should be added gradually, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Make perfect meringues every time, with this easy basic meringue recipe. For frosting-style meringue, soft or firm peaks are usually fine. If you’ve pressed your nose against the dessert case of any self-respecting bakery, you’ve seen delicious meringue desserts.