Chickpeas are my favorite legumes. I reduced the amount of rice to 1/3 cup cooked basmati rice to bring down the calories, but even doing that, the nutrition is as follows: Calories: 386 Fat: 7.1 Carbs: 68 Fiber: 12.8 Protein:19 That being said, you don't really miss the extra rice if you cut it down as it makes a … For brown rice, add 3 cups water to the 2 cups rinsed rice. Very easy to make! For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. For this recipe I wanted a comforting dish, so I decided to concoct a good meal with rice and chickpeas. Flavors paired quite well, simple and straightforward. She loves sharing her recipes and showing the world just how easy and delicious meatless meals can be! Definitely a keeper! But both work well in recipes calling for brown or white long-grain rice. I wish I used the money for the ingredients at an actual Indian restauant. I agree that the garam masala should be increased to taste. It was fine, or as the husband said, passable. I will definitely add this to our monthly dinner menu list. Add shallots and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. It is usually followed when someone is allergic to nuts. It is necessary for the muscle growth and helps the cells to function well. Good over couscous or quinoa as well. But the men in my family wanted to know where the meat was! Thank you, Aimee! Leftover pilaf can be covered and refrigerated for up to a week. Very healthy also. Sprinkle with cilantro. Add the chickpeas and stir so they are covered in the spices. cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I added extra salt and pepper to bring out the flavor, and that seemed to do the trick just fine. This dish has nice flavors and it was easy to make. Everyone loved it. Now it's time to eat! When chickpeas start to lightly brown (about 5 mins) add parsley and the sun-dried tomatoes and … Learn more about me. The "huh? this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. It excludes foods such as meat, fish, mollusks, dairy products, eggs, honey and their by-products. I added more tomato because it just seemed dry. If you have fresh or leftover cooked vegetables to use up, add them during the last minutes of cooking. To serve it as a main dish, try it with one of the following recipes. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. At Veggies Save The Day you'll find simple delicious recipes that are easy to make any night of the week. My preference is to use brown rice since it's a whole grain which works well as part of a vegan Mediterranean diet. Info. Are you tasting your recipes Cooking Light? Chickpeas with basmati rice . Diet based on vegetables, legumes and green leaves. Excellent recipe was just what I was looking for. The only downside is that my husband doesn't care for Indian food, but I like it because I'm trying to eat less meat and more vegetables and legumes. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. Cover with the lid, lower the heat to medium, and boil for 15-20 minutes. Stir salt and pureed onion mixture into chickpeas in pan. Add the chilli puree and sprinkle generously with garlic powder. Your email address will not be published. Added more spice + more salt. Looks delicious! Add 2 tablespoons cold water to blender, and shake gently to rinse; pour water into the pan. After reading the other comments about it needing more flavor, I added a full tablespoon of garam masala and just a dash of smoked paprika. Okay. No matter what method you use, you should thoroughly rice and drain the rice. I used probably 2 or 3 TABLEspoons of the masala, and added a teaspoon or so of spicy paprika, along with 3 cloves of chopped garlic. Brown or white basmati rice (or substitute jasmine or regular long-grain rice) 2. You can make it in advance and reheat it when ready to eat. ½ cup Parmesan cheese plus 2 tablespoons for serving. A small amount of salt daily is necessary for the body. She lives in Orange County, California with the love of her life, Brad, and their adorable black cat, Ozzy. Daily caloric intake depends mainly on the person’s weight, sex and physical activity level. Curry in our house usually takes half a day - obviously this not a curry that has stewed all day but was a lovely weeknight meal. Quick tip! Carbs: 68 Dried fruit: raisins and dates (or use your favorites like sour cherries and apricots) And if you're not able to find basmati rice for this pilaf recipe, jasmine is a good substitute. You can either cook it with olive oil or use water if you are avoiding oil. Stir in garam masala; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Be careful though not to overdo it and not to exceed 6 grams of salt daily. I will definitely make it again. An average individual needs about 2000 kcal / day. While rice cooks, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Look for garam masala--an Indian blend--in the spice aisle; Spice Islands and McCormick make it. This was also a filling meal, which is sometimes hard to accomplish when cooking vegetarian main dishes for meat-loving husbands. MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. This is a great recipe to make if you like to meal prep since it reheats really well in the microwave. Seasoned with aromatic spices, Middle Eastern inspired Basmati Rice Pilaf is a delight for the senses. Olive oil (for sauteing, or use 2 Tablespoons water if following an oil-free diet) 3. Excellent dish! If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Like the previous poster said, it's a one-note stew. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, and spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring occasionally. Onion (white, yellow, or red) 4. Limits all sources of added sugars and encourages the reduction of high-carbohydrate (high glycemic index) foods. Let the pressure release naturally. I really liked this recipe. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. . It's healthy, which is great, but my family didn't enjoy it. Plus both varieties come in both brown and white versions. I did go with other reviewers and add garlic, some spicy paprika and extra garam masala. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are heated through, about 4 minutes. Will be making again! Calories are vastly underestimated (a regular problem with cooking light, I've found). I thought it had plenty of flavor without adjusting the seasonings. I make it monthly. Made it to freeze up for lunches will make again, may add more spinach. I’ll be making this again! I often reach for jasmine rice to make recipes such as coconut rice and yellow rice. I followed others suggestions and used 3 garlic cloves, added more garam masala and some cayenne pepper. It excludes foods such as meat, fish, mollusks, dairy products, eggs, honey and their by-products. Diet based on cereals, pulses, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruits and other animal foods such as honey and eggs. Serve with finely chopped basil, lemon slices, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary. Super simple recipe and very tasty! Aim for at least 25 grams of fiber daily. I cooked the rice in organic coconut milk instead of water for added flavor and health benefits. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Canned chickpeas (or 1½ cooked from dried) 6. 400 g of cooked chickpeas; 100 g basmati rice; 1 large onion; 2 cloves of garlic; 2 tomatoes; Water, as needed; 2 tablespoons of butter; 10 g of fresh ginger; 2 tablespoons curry powder; 2 cloves; 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds; 2 pods of green cardamom; Salt and pepper to taste; Fresh cilantro, optional, to taste; Preparation of Chickpea Curry . It was easy to make, quick, cheap, and something different than what we usually make. This is a very delicious, healthy and comforting meal! Learn more about Nicole here. A great weeknight meal. This was the worst "curry" dish I have ever tried to make. Prepare the rice according to the package directions or your preferred method. It is important to check the labels of the products you buy so you can calculate how much you consume daily. This is fast, healthy and satisfying. I didn't feel like trashing it, but I will never make this again. Absolutely delicious! Can The Apple Cider Vinegar Diet Help You Lose Weight?