8 Jelly Jars. Copyright © 2020 Outdoor Life. Protein 0g 0%. As a kid, I spent my summers in northern Minnesota: fishing, waterskiing, and exploring the woods of the Chippewa National Forest. Vitamin A 75IU 2%. The simplest method is bringing them to a boil for a few minutes in a saucepan, then straining through a jelly bag or cheesecloth. Continue to cook, stirring regularly until the jam starts to thicken. Fiber 1g 4%. Place the raspberries in a sauce pan with the sugar and start to heat over medium heat. Remove jars from oven or canning pot to kitchen towel. Black Raspberry Jelly. I have a magnetic tool for picking them out that came with a canning set. Jump to Recipe Print Recipe. Sanitize the jars and screw lids. Pour the jam into the jars and place the lids on. A Bonnier Corporation Company. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the jalapeño if desired. 6 1/2 cups sugar. Put the required sugar in a bowl so it can be added later without having to measure. Potassium 58mg 2%. Amount Per Serving Calories 63 % Daily Value* Fat 0g 0%. So I went home, got a bucket and the kids, and spent about an hour picking just the black raspberries. How to Make Black Raspberry Jelly. Put them someplace you can clean up easily if a spill happens. Blackberry Raspberry Jam. Now, one of the many great things about wild raspberries is that you can find them pretty much everywhere. 4 1/2 cups black raspberry juice. Adjust heat and boil for 10 minutes for altitude up to 1,000 feet. 1 cup fresh picked raspberries, rinsed and drained; ½ cup sugar; 1 tsp lemon juice; 2 jalapeños (optional) jam One cup of raspberries will make about 8 ounces of jam. Even if you can't pick as many ripe berries as you want, you can still make jam. I put the raspberries in a pan and heat with just a splash of water and crush them. Air bubbles shouldn’t really be an issue with this seedless raspberry jam since it’ll flow easily off the ladle, but de-bubble the jars if necessary. I wanted to put this in my own words because the one in the box is a combined recipe for different types of jellies and jumps around a bit. Jamie Carlson . It isn’t always possible to pick the six cups of raspberries grandma’s recipe called for, so I scaled this down so that you can make it with as little as one cup of raspberries. Jar lifter. Saturated Fat 0g 0%. This post though is not intended specifically as a how to for canning. If you are making a lot of juice each year a Squeezo is even better. All rights reserved. I grew up on and absolutely love black raspberry jelly. Calcium 10mg 1%. I’ve tried making raspberry jelly with frozen raspberry juice, but it doesn’t set and you’ll get raspberry syrup instead. Carbohydrates 15g 5%. Sodium 0mg 0%. I wanted to put this in my own words because the one in the box is a combined recipe for different types of jellies and jumps around a bit. Right before making the jelly I take them out so I'm ready to pour the jelly into them as soon as it's done. Wild raspberries are smaller than those at the grocery store and you need to pick a lot of them to make jam. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis and can find wild raspberries within a few block of my house. I put them through the dishwasher and leave them there until needed. Add the lemon juice and remove from the heat. You can double, triple, or quadruple this recipe—it just depends how many raspberries you can pick. If you are going to can this jam, make sure you have sterilized 8-ounce jars ready. Spreading that still-warm jam on a piece of toast with some butter is one of those great childhood memories that will stay with me forever. But if that’s not what you’re shooting for and only have frozen raspberry juice, it’s best to reach for the box of pectin. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes until the mixture reaches gel stage. Bring the sugar and raspberry juice to a boil over medium-high heat, using a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan. The Best Bass Pro Black Friday Deals: Bargains on Fishing, Hunting, and Outdoor Gear, USGS Releases Western Big-Game Migration Maps, How to Have a Better Deer Season: Learn From Your Mistakes (And Successes) This Season, The 186-Inch Arkansas Longbow Buck with Seven Lives, The Best Cabela’s Cyber Monday Deals: Bargains on Fishing, Hunting, and Other Outdoor Gear, The Best GoPro Black Friday Deals: Bargains on Outdoor Camera Gear, This is Your Year to Get into Ice Fishing. My kids and I were at the park the other day, and I noticed some were turning black and were just about ready to pick. Directions. Ingredients for Black Raspberry Jam. Wonderful jelly for toast, rolls, PB&J, you name it. Using a wooden spoon, stir and smash the berries until the sugar is dissolved. or cheesecloth. My grandmother was always ready for them, and would bake desserts with the berries, or just put them on ice cream. You need a funnel and ladle for getting the hot jelly into the jars and whatever you need to give them a water bath. This is how my family has always made and canned it. Wipe jar rims with a damp paper towel, adjust lids and screw on bands fingertip tight. Watch for boil overs and scorching. Sugar 14g 16%. Here’s the Gear You Need to Do It, Army Corps Denies Permitting for Alaska’s Pebble Mine, Possibly Bringing an End to the Controversial Project, The Best YETI Black Friday Deals: Bargains on Fishing, Hunting, and Other Outdoor Gear, Buy a Hunting Dog that Suits You (and No One Else), How to Hunt a Wild Turkey for Your Thanksgiving, National Parks Service Increasingly Calls on Hunters to Help Cull Non-Native Bison, Mountain Goats, 3 Ways to Catch Big Catfish Without a Rod and Reel, 1 cup fresh picked raspberries, rinsed and drained. https://www.savoringthegood.com/seedless-black-raspberry-jam-recipe Place jars back in canning pot, cover, return water to a boil, and start timing. If you are feeling a touch adventurous, you can throw a couple of jalapeño peppers into the jam as it cooks to give it a little kick. Raspberry CANNED/PRESERVES Jam/Jelly Recipes. You can double, triple, or quadruple this recipe—it just depends how many raspberries you can pick. If you are looking for instructions and recipes for CANNING Raspberries, including Raspberry PRESERVE/CONSERVE Recipes (other than jams and jellies): GO to … Put the juice and SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin in your pot and bring to a rolling boil. Sanitize the lids. If you’re canning, fill jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Sure Jell Premium Fruit Pectin, Original. Extract raspberry juice from fresh or frozen raspberries. The recipe is based on the recipe include in the SURE-JELL box. Outdoor Life may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. I bring a small pan of water to a boil then take it off the heat and put the lids in the pan seal side down. Step 4: Can Black Raspberry Jam. Iron 0.2mg 1% * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. 5 Cups Raspberry Juice (from about 8 pints fruit). Test for gel stage with an instant-read thermometer (220 degrees F at sea level), or on a plate placed in the freezer. Measure the juice and add 1 cup of sugar for every cup of raspberry juice. Once gel stage is reached, remove the raspberry jelly from the heat and ladle into canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Then remove the seeds using a fine. And, occasionally, she would make jam. Wild raspberries are smaller than those at the grocery store and you need to pick a lot of them to make jam. The recipe is based on the recipe include in the SURE-JELL box. This jam served on toast, or with some cheese and cured meat, it is one of my favorite summer time treats. Vitamin C 7.8mg 9%. Red or Black Raspberry Raspberry Blueberry Raspberry Cherry Raspberry Apple Raspberry Maple Red Currant Raspberry Raspberry Pepper Jelly Berry Jam with Applesauce Black Raspberry Jelly. Store in the refrigerator for immediate use, or process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes. Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework. Copyright © 2018 Shawn On Food • All Rights Reserved • Privacy Policy. Add the black raspberries and water to a large pot over medium heat, cooking down until the berries release all their juices, about 30-40 minutes. Add sugar and continue to boil for exactly one minute stirring constantly, Remove from heat and skim off any foam if you want, Ladle or pour into jars filling to 1/4" from the top, Wipe the rim of each jar and place a lid and screw lid on each, Toasted Peanut Butter and Black Raspberry Jelly Sandwich, Peanut Butter and Black Raspberry Jelly Sandwich, Super Bowl Party 2019 and Game Day Recipes. A simple recipe for a delicious wild summer treat. One of my favorite pastimes was wandering the dirt road that lead to my grandparents’ cabin and picking wild raspberries. Raspberry jelly can be made as a refrigerator or freezer jelly, or you can water bath can it for long term preservation at room temperature. They seemed to grow everywhere, and it wasn’t uncommon for me to fill a one-gallon ice cream bucket in one stroll. You need a big pot to make the jelly in. Using a jar funnel, ladle jam into jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. I use a potato smasher. I grew up on and absolutely love black raspberry jelly. It’s equally delicious to pour over pancakes, and I actually froze some raspberry juice to make syrup later this fall.