Pick them up … But before you put on your Bird Rescuer costume and start saving the day, Chu suggests you shouldn't go around picking up every baby bird you see. Some baby birds even have specialized names depending on their species, such as owlet, eyas, or colt. Finally, the robin picked a moving object the size of a baby bird and flew away. There are no known flying birds alive that can pick up an adult human. I was going to trim a bush last week, when i notices a nest with 4 young sparrows. Reports of birds of this size have been made in multiple places around the world, but no confirmed evidence of them has been collected. Make sure you leave it within hearing distance of where it was found. Birds cannot move their eggs or babies. Many animals feed on eggs and babies, including other birds, squirrels, raccoons, opossum, snakes, and unfortunately - domestic and feral cats. If the babies are gone, it means that the nest was raided by predators and the babies were eaten or taken away to be eaten. She had two nests. You can also provide a small bowl of water. Gigantic birds are not unknown, however. Primarily because the last thing you want to do is separate baby birds from their parents. Soon, I saw a robin fly down to the nest and begin picking at it rather frantically. Last spring, I looked out the window and saw a nest on the ground, it appeared to have fallen out of a tree. I took a picture, without touching anything. Large predatory birds can sometimes carry away very small children. These different names denote changes in plumage, proportions, behavior, and care needs that can help birders properly identify baby birds. I'm not certain, but I think that one of my parrots did. As baby birds grow, the specific names that refer to the change. Don’t worry—parent birds do not recognize their young by smell. If you can find the nest (it may be well hidden), put the bird back as quickly as possible. The next day the nest was empty, 10 feet away the mulch was disturbed, and there where tiny immature feathers, and some darker adult feathers about .5-.75 inches long. If the bird is on a busy path or road, or other potentially dangerous, exposed location, it makes sense to pick it up and move it a short distance to a safer place. Phoebe is a bronze-winged Pionus, and she laid an egg a few years ago. It has been suggested that there are over 60 other diseases that birds and their droppings can carry. One nest was in her cage, which is where she lived while I was at work. Independent Feeding (Weeks 6-10) While they are still eating the baby formula, they can now eat independently on their own (we’ll write about this later on, because normal bird diets purchased from the stores won’t be adequate for their … When it comes to birds, there may be more than just avian flu to be worried about. Baby birds would regularly fall from their nests onto the deck, and would lie there crying in full view of my brother and me as we sat on the floor watching TV. Most people tell me this never happens, but a 98 year old woman tells me, yes, birds can pick up their young. Fledglings should be left where they are, in the care of their parents. One had some facial feathers and was near opening of bush. Predation to nests is common.