Had Aric come on time, he would not miss the flight. There are five main ways of constructing conditional sentences in English. These types of sentences are used to express possible or imaginary situations. These sentences are not based on fact. Only “if” is used with present unreal conditionals because it is describing a fictious situation which is only imagined or in some-one’s mind. If they (to like) him, they would invite him. (but I'm not sure this thing will happen) OR that thing would be happening. This usage is referred to as \"the unreal past\" because we use a past tense but we are not actually referring to something that happened in the past. All rights reserved. A possible condition and its probable result, A hypothetical condition and its probable result, Present conditional or Present continuous conditional, An unreal past condition and its probable result in the past, An unreal past condition and its probable result in the present, that thing would happen. Read more about how to use the type 1 conditional. (but I'm not sure this thing will happen) OR, that thing would have happened. In zero conditional sentences, the word "if" can usually be replaced by the word "when" without changing the meaning. In the basic first conditional pattern, the condition is expressed using the present tense. The type 2 conditional is used to refer to a hypothetical condition and its probable result. The third conditional sentences contain two clauses: a main clause or “if” clause and a conditional independent clause or “would have” clause. 1. There are five main ways of constructing conditional sentences i… The mixed type conditional is used to refer to an unreal past condition and its probable result in the present. The present conditional describes a situation now that isn’t true or isn’t happening. If I were at the book fair, I could have bought a different genre book for you. This usage is referred to as "the unreal past" because we use a past tense but we are not actually referring to something that happened in the past. Examples: If I go to a friend's house for dinner, I usually take a bottle of wine or some flowers. The Present Conditional. In present unreal conditionals, the “be” form of verb in past tense “were” is used instead of “was” even with “I”, “he”, “she”, or “it”. The present real conditional (also called conditional 0) is used to talk about what you normally do in real-life situations. In many negative conditional sentences, there is an equivalent sentence construction using "unless" instead of "if". Read more about how to use the zero conditional. The zero conditional is used for when the time being referred to is now or always and the situation is real and possible. Past unreal conditionals are often used to express wishes about the past. Had you not been spendthrift, you could have saved some money for the rest of the month. The type 2 conditional is used to refer to a time that is now or any time, and a situation that is unreal. The past unreal conditionals talk about how you would have acted in a different way if you had had more information. If Jack’s brother had visited me in the office, I could have given him all the books. If I were a fish, I (to love) water. If Alia and Meghna had come here, they could have talked to Jane. Therefore they usually the form of , if I had known A, I would have done B. These Sentences use “if” to make a conditional statement then expresses a imaginary end result. In English, most sentences using the conditional contain the word if. Imagine you prepared food for your uncle. It is considered incorrect to use “was” with these if clauses. The tense in both parts of the sentence is the simple present. Conditional tenses are used to speculate about what could happen, what might have happened, and what we wish would happen. Only “if” is used with present unreal conditionals because it is describing a fictious situation which is only imagined or in some-one’s mind. The past unreal conditional sentences are also known Type 3 third conditional and are used to express fictitious situations that would have happened differently under other unreal circumstances. Conditional tenses are used to speculate about what could happen, what might have happened, and what we wish would happen. If I had met you earlier, I could have told you the fact. If I gave you a ticket, (you/to go) to the concert ? Subject + conditional perfect verb + object[s] + “if” + subject + past perfect verb + object[s].