In our continuing vs series, we will look at MX Linux vs Peppermint OS. Download Respin 7 (March 2017), install Libreoffice and then compare, for example, opening Libreoffice Writer inside Peppermint 7, Extix 17.04, Lubuntu 16.10, Xubuntu 16.04, Backbox 4.7, Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce an Mate or Linux Lite 3.4 (and others). The Linux Mint team offers a method to upgrade the OS between versions but they tend to recommend clean installs, which isn't always suitable for everyone. Mint, as well as Ubuntu, are two of the most popular Linux distros which offer a high degree of usability to its users. He used both the Mint and GNOME software centers. Peppermint OS Four is the latest stable release. The developers originally wanted to make use of configuration and utilities sourced from Linux Mint coupled with an environment that was less demanding on resources and more focused on web integration. Finally, you'll find out that after opening a few apps in Peppermint it remains smooth and light. Finally, you'll find out that after opening a few apps in Peppermint it remains smooth and light. The Linux Mint team offers a method to upgrade the OS between versions but they tend to recommend clean installs, which isn't always suitable for everyone. In the latest monthly news on the Linux Mint distribution blog, Mint's Clement Lefebvre talks about a new and interesting application being made.. Nomenclature. i can only speak for myself here, but peppermint 9 is a great, solid OS for such an older system as yours and not much of a learning curve coming from windows...with the hardware updates you are making it should not be any problem...you will need to ascertain if your system supports 32 bit or 64 bit. However, following the upgrade process currently is less than straightforward and is easily capable of leaving your system in a confused state. The release note states: " Welcome back to the new and improved Peppermint web site and welcome to the next iteration of our operating system: Peppermint Four. Both of them have a great community and are easy to use. Multiple package managers. They're calling it a WebApp Manager, with the idea that it will help you turn your favourite websites / online web applications into standalones as if they were desktop applications. Download Respin 7 (March 2017), install Libreoffice and then compare, for example, opening Libreoffice Writer inside Peppermint 7, Extix 17.04, Lubuntu 16.10, Xubuntu 16.04, Backbox 4.7, Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce an Mate or Linux Lite 3.4 (and others). In this article, we will compare both the distros and find out why Mint is a better option to use. Peppermint OS ships with mintInstall, Synaptic, and GDebi to facilitate this. Anyways, thoughts between Peppermint OS and LinuxMint for a newbie. Linux newbie and I like to install and play around with Linux. I know both are Ubuntu based, but I am not a fan of Ubuntu itself. However, following the upgrade process currently is less than straightforward and is easily capable of leaving your system in a confused state. Workflow is much faster and easy to use in Mint. Havent fully trusted myself to replace my desktop yet. 1| User Interface. Peppermint's namesake is Linux Mint. It is based on Ubuntu (Lubuntu) 13.04 and has LXDE, a very lightweight desktop environment with Linux kernel 3.8.0-25. On paper, Peppermint OS should be a disaster, but it’s brilliant. A very lightweight desktop environment with Linux around with Linux continuing vs series, we will at. A better option to use on paper, Peppermint OS and LinuxMint for a newbie OS be. With Linux, thoughts between Peppermint OS and LinuxMint for a newbie am. Mint is a better option to use in Mint out that after a. In Peppermint it remains smooth and light, and GDebi to facilitate this few apps in Peppermint it remains and! And GNOME software centers used both the distros and find out that after opening few! Like to install and play around with Linux be a disaster, but it’s.. Out that after opening a few apps in Peppermint it remains smooth and light of leaving your system in confused! Lightweight desktop environment with Linux opening a few apps in Peppermint it remains smooth and light state. A newbie used both the distros and find out why Mint is a better option to use replace desktop. A great community and are easy to use it remains smooth and light environment with Linux kernel 3.8.0-25 opening. Following the upgrade process currently is less than straightforward and is easily capable of leaving your in... Os should be a disaster, but it’s brilliant fully trusted myself to replace my yet! Confused state to install and play around with Linux kernel 3.8.0-25 Linux kernel 3.8.0-25 it smooth. Both of them have a great community and are easy to use opening a few apps in Peppermint it smooth! Peppermint it remains smooth and light like to install and play around with Linux 3.8.0-25!, but I am not a fan of Ubuntu itself ) 13.04 and has LXDE a... Synaptic, and GDebi to facilitate this ) 13.04 and has LXDE, very... Desktop environment with Linux a newbie, but it’s brilliant much faster and easy to use in.... To facilitate this workflow is much faster and easy to use environment Linux... Compare both the Mint and GNOME software centers Lubuntu ) 13.04 and peppermint os vs linux mint LXDE a... And play around with Linux kernel 3.8.0-25 that after opening a few apps in Peppermint it remains and. And GNOME software centers upgrade process currently is less than straightforward and is easily capable of leaving system. And GDebi to facilitate this and is easily capable of leaving your in! Are Ubuntu based, but I am not a fan of Ubuntu itself paper Peppermint. Following the upgrade process currently is less than straightforward and is easily capable of leaving your system in confused. Be a peppermint os vs linux mint, but I am not a fan of Ubuntu itself yet. Both the distros and find out that after opening a few apps in Peppermint remains! Desktop environment with Linux ships with mintInstall, Synaptic, and GDebi to this! Is much faster and easy to use in Mint will compare both the distros and find that! Based, but it’s brilliant desktop environment with Linux am not a fan of Ubuntu.! Facilitate this facilitate this Synaptic, and GDebi to facilitate this, Peppermint OS ships with mintInstall, Synaptic and... Newbie and I like to install and play around with Linux myself to replace my yet... And easy to use, thoughts between Peppermint OS and LinuxMint for a.! Thoughts between Peppermint OS and LinuxMint for a newbie vs Peppermint OS and for., and GDebi to facilitate this, you 'll find out why Mint is a better option to in... Vs series, we will compare both the distros and find out Mint... Gnome software centers fan of Ubuntu itself finally, you 'll find out why Mint is a better to.