This backpack will go through some of the most spectacular wilderness regions of North America on a section of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) that runs through the Wind River Range in WY. Don't do this trek if you're not an experienced mountaineer and you're a bit crazy. Had we not set out to thru-hike the CDT, I highly doubt we would have ever discovered, let alone experienced, the ridiculous beauty of The Winds. I got up high to avoid some crevasses but eventually I had to go down and confront them. The Continental Divide Trail is approximately 600 miles in length in Wyoming. If I went up this mountain, I would be coming down in the darkness and I would be camping where this picture was taken, around 12,500 feet. I didn't expect rain that night, but the tarp trapped a bit of heat. There is one big climb that begins right at the 10-mile mark. You wouldn't want to twist an ankle up here when you're all alone. The reason they do this is to avoid the glacier filled terrain south of Tourist Creek. Your email address will not be published. Forty peaks soar above 13,000-ft. and over 100 summits top 12,000-ft. These photos are absolutely amazing! Thank you, Frank, and you and your work inspire us as well. Wyoming Continental Divide Trail The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) is a 3,100-mile long trail that follows the U.S. Continental Divide from Mexico to Canada, traversing through five states along the way. I'm glad I did it because it was the most beautiful section of the entire CDT. The "Winds" are the southernmost Continental Divide range of the Central Rockies and at thei… South of Union Pass, the Divide got interesting. There is no trail. Glad you’re enjoying the posts and photos, Brenda, and we are in awe of you! It is located entirely in Wyoming and is the highest range in the Wyoming-Idaho-Montana group of ranges. The water tastes great! Being above the tree line, you're exposed all the time. I jumped over a dozen crevasses, hoping that I didn't slip and fall into one of them. Mary, thank you for appreciating the gravity of this undertaking, and for your wonderful comment about my posts. The Continental Divide serves as a separating line for the water flow in the United States. 4 years ago / 26. Your photos and comments bring this to life. Hosting 100+ miles of the Continental Divide Trail and astounding mountain scenery, Wyoming’s Wind River Range offers more to explore beyond the Tetons, Medicine Bows, and Yellowstone National Park. It so gorgeous and untouched, yet the unforgiveness of nature lurks. That means getting high above the trail, traversing glaciers and rocky terrain where there is no trail at all. Higher up there were crevasses everywhere. Claire, thanks, so true! Few have traversed the entire Wind River Range along the divide, especially … It’s exhilarating just to read about your adventures and see the joyful photos! I am inept on FB blogs. Big Sandy to Green River Lakes via Continental Divide Trail is a 62.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lander, Wyoming that features a lake and is rated as difficult. Villages as high as 10,000 ft (3,000 m) in elevation, dating from 700 to 2000 BC, have recently been studied by archaeologists. Southern Continental Divide Trail: Lander, South Pass, Christina Lake, Shoshone National Forest and Irish Canyon areas More than 100 miles of groomed trails in and around the Wind River Mountain Range through scenic, forested mountains and mountain lakes. Thank you so much for sharing! And it’s all here, right in the heart of Wind River Country. Challenge yourself and see the most spectacular, rewarding section on the entire Divide. Gail and Amber drove deep into the Wind River Range to meet Porter for his resupply. Wyoming’s Section 13 of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT) is a dream walk through the Wind River Range. The heart of the Wind River Range High Route lies between the range’s southernmost and northernmost named 13,000-foot summits, Wind River Peak and Downs Mountain. He says many times that he couldn’t do this were I not along as his trail angel and chase vehicle. I continue to be amazed. My tiny G5 Gossamer Gear backpack was all I had.