For example, Scout makes other monoculars that can cost upwards of $3,400. Reviewed in the United States on May 20, 2018. Nine interchangeable colour palettes, and onboard recording are just a few. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, FLIR Scout TK Handheld Thermal Imaging Monocular, FLIR Scout TK Pocket-Sized Thermal Monocular, See all details for FLIR Scout TK Handheld Thermal Imaging Monocular, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. You have a few reasons where it might make sense to buy this product. It displays heat differences FROM objects, and therefore can be used day or night. This was the product fully intended for campers, hikers and wildlife observers who want to get a better look. This product also has a storage capacity that gives you a total of 1,000 photos, and you can take advantage of the four hours in video footage that you can record. With every setting, you can illuminate the details of the scene, but it depends on the light contrast on which color palette you should choose. With that said, this product still gives you a fair price tag to learn how thermal imaging works and what it can be used for. No, you can't mount this to a weapon. I got this to use for hunting. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Despite its small size and weight, the TK is actually packed with more features than its bigger brothers. The user controls of this product are about as simple and straightforward as what they come. The lens will sense heat and present it in a more visible fashion. While the Scion OTM is leagues better in thermal detection and resolution over the Scout TK… Usually, these products will have better resolution, more features and a faster refresh time on it. You have a wide range of anti-glare coverage that ranges from only the external elements having it to all the lenses being fully coated. The FLIR Scout TK is my new favorite toy, a grownup version of my childhood kaleidoscope, though quite a bit more expensive. When you look at your color palette options of the FLIR Scout TK, you can scroll them easily, and the variety has become one of the keys to this technology. The one downside is how it does become a little consuming to click through every frame. Second (and most important to understand), it is entirely passive - it does not operate on "reflected" infrared light, therefore it doesn't need an infrared illuminator. If you want a further range, you will most likely have to pay for a FLIR in the price range between $2,000 to $6,000. Granted it is not as good as the other options starting at 3-4 times the prices, but it is a good value for the $549 price. If you want magnification, the FLIR Scout TK probably isn't your choice because it doesn't have magnification. Low lighting is the main purpose of this product. While we may call this a camera, it acts more like a sensor in truth. It detects heat signatures at 90m, refreshes at 9hz, and weighs just 170g. Will this product pick out heat signatures at 500 yards? I was obviously sent a product that was returned by another customer. Black/white (your preference which is cool vs. warm) seems to define the best. When it comes to your color palette, you have a few different choices like rainbow, black and white, arctic and lava. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Check Amazon's Great Price on the Flir Scout, Check Amazon's Great Price on the Scout TK. You can upload the footage through the USB port, and the image quality for the videos look phenomenal. The image performance depends on the light that is reflected. Be sure you know what to expect and not expect from it - it performs very nicely for its designed capabilities - almost 5-stars, Reviewed in the United States on November 15, 2016. The FLIR Scout TK offers you a device with a rechargeable battery to last for five hours, and it weighs six ounces. The Scout TK detects … Compared to some of the similar products on the market, you have a reasonably priced entry point. The time would lose upwards of 5 minutes a week from when I set it. Reviewed in the United States on November 20, 2017. An older individual, however, could find some value in it because of how it doesn't confuse you with a lot of features. When you go to buy a monocular, you should look at the magnification power as well as the lens. Leupold LTO Tracker VS FLIR Scout TK. It's a basic product with a fair enough entry-level price, considering how many of the other products can cost as much as $6,000. This will affect how far you can see with the monocular. This thermal imager allows you to take and record still images and videos of the objects that you have captured. In addition, the FLIR Scout TK has been sealed to dust and moisture, which lets you use it in any environment. Turned out to be a squirrel condo when I walked up there to take a look. Casey Anderson, the executive producer for National Geographic Wild, also works as a naturalist. If you have familiarity with some of the other Scout models, you shouldn't have a problem with making a transition to this new one because it's looks like the last one. I'm impressed. This only cost $249, and it still has a plethora of impressive features for the price. The customer service responds promptly to your questions and concerns. In the dark, this can be difficult, but you will manage it better through this technology. Small rabbits, skunks, etc. Can you mount the FLIR Scout TK to a firearm? The flir scout tk hand held thermal imagING MONOCULAR IS THE PERFECT POCKET SIZED THERMAL FOR CLOSE RANGE WORK at a low cost. The Optical Advantage is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com Copyright text 2017 by The Optical Advantage. Reviewed in the United States on November 4, 2016 As a long time user of FLIR (military service), I was ecstatic when I saw the FLIR Scout TK was released. From my house, I could see a large heat signature in a tree 150 yards away. Unfortunately, this thermal imaging product doesn't work as well in the brush, and you will have a hard time identifying animals hiding in the brush. Can you use this product to find lost cats in the bushes at night? This product was intended for the individuals who like to go outside. FLIRs take photos from the heat, rather than visible lighting. Bought one soon quit working. Paul the Sales Director asked me to review the FLIR Scout TK hand held thermal imager. Before you run out and buy the FLIR Scout TK, you should first understand how it has a bit of a technology gap in comparison to the other products. The one thing you should understand with this product is that it doesn't have magnification capabilities. Reviewed in the United States on February 14, 2020. Meanwhile, the smaller lens could possibly have a poor field of vision that limits you while trying to view things. You can detect a man out as far as 100 yards. To understand how it works, you first must forget everything that you believed with how cameras snap photos. The one thing that you should keep in mind is how this product doesn't work well out in the thickest of the brush. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. I help with a pig eradication project, and all of our work is done at night when the pigs are active.