Que fais-tu, qu’est-ce que tu fais ? comment? In this free French lesson, I’ll explain the 4 ways of asking questions in French and give you lists of common French question words (aka interrogative expressions…). Interrogative expressions – or interrogative adverbs, and sometimes interrogative adjectives – are French question words used to ask for a particular piece of information. You just raise your intonation towards the end of the sentence!Vous parlez français ? You expected: “comment vous appelez-vous ? You need to understand it’s a question, and grab the essential parts to be able to, within the context of that particular conversation, guess the rest and answer fast. Understanding questions in French fast is the key to a successful conversation. In French, you always have to say the preposition. FRENCH. how? = You like France, don’t you? Some usually confuse students, so make sure you understand these constructs. que , quel , qui , quoi and lequel are explained on . Inversion, the various French question words etc.. are explained in depth and then illustrated by a level-adapted ongoing novel with audio – in my intermediate level French audiobook method – À Moi Paris L3. That’s the mistake: in most situations, you don’t need to translate the question. If you use an interrogative expression (like when, why, where…) It goes all the way at the end of your sentence. In inversion, you pretty much invert the subject verb order, placing the verb first.Pourquoi vas-tu à Paris ? combien de + noun? Listed below are some very common question words. 2.5 hours recorded at 3 different speeds. how much? Word order in indirect questions is generally the same as in English: When the subject of the question is a noun and, Relative pronouns: qui, que, lequel, auquel, duquel, The partitive article: du, de la, de l’ and des, Comparatives and superlatives of adjectives, Demonstrative adjectives: ce, cette, cet and ces, Using different types of pronoun together, Demonstrative pronouns: ce, cela/ça, ceci, celui, The present tense: regular -er (first conjugation) verbs, The present tense: regular -ir (second conjugation) verbs, The present tense: regular -re (third conjugation) verbs, The present tense: spelling changes in -er verbs, Prepositions consisting of more than one word, ‘Do you remember my friends?’ – ‘Which ones?’, Tell me which way to go. Learn how to understand / answer questions in French fast with my free French lesson. Available for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. Get Started for Free There is more to say about asking question with inversion since the construct can be quite complex. how many? So I dedicated a whole audiobook to this subject: secrets of French conversation. You expected one variation and got another one, which you often try to translate word by word. And now let’s see what question words are used to ask specific informations. Experience how different and efficient our method is. Que or qu’ = what + verb… as in what are you doing ? Instead of using “n’est-ce pas ?”, you could also just ask no in French: non ? Question Words in French Much like English, French often makes it clear that a question is being asked by beginning the sentences with a "question word" like Que ("what"), or by using a word order that is not standard for direct statements. À quoi = usually used with a verb that is followed by à = penser à = À quoi tu penses ? combien + verb? When you’re pretty sure the answer is yes, you may use the tag expressions “n’est-ce pas ?” or “non ?”, Pourquoi = why – Note: to answer, use: parce que (parce qu’il-s, parce qu’elle-s). how much?, how many? Sometimes, English omits the preposition in a question. It’s not just slang. Quel = which/what + masculine singular noun, quels = which/what + masculine plural noun, quelle = = which/what + feminine singular noun, quelles = which/what + feminine plural noun, Chez quell (ami) = At which (friend’s) place. This is the most common construction, mostly used in spoken French, and it’s also the simplest – hence it’s popularity. (His actual question was. = You are French, right /aren’t you? Most of my audiobooks are recorded at several speeds to help you conquer the modern French language.