Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Oct 29, 2016. Strat-Talk.com is an independent, member supported forum and is not affiliated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation. Not quite as bright as a tune-a-matic. Trump says he'll leave White House on one condition, Pat Sajak apologizes for outburst on 'Wheel of Fortune', Manufacturing error clouds vaccine study results, Seymour, 69, clarifies remark on being able to play 25, Nail salons, a lifeline for immigrants, begin shuttering, Sick mink appear to rise from the dead in Denmark, Infamous QB bust Manziel comes clean on NFL failures, Walmart's massive Black Friday sale just went live, Amazon workers plan Black Friday strikes and protests, Couple wed 76 years spend final hours in COVID-19 unit, Top Trump official issues stark COVID-19 warning. Disclaimer Section: IMHO, YMMV, IMHE, Don't Try This At Home, Take With Grain Of Salt, etc, etc. Next time you pick up your guitar or go shopping for a new one (lucky you! The Answer Won’t Surprise You, Guitar Scale Length – What it is, How to Measure it, and Why it Matters, ©2020 - Zinginstruments.com. Frank | forum intro #1331 [maybe one more guitar ... maybe not; one never knows ...]. NY 10036. New York, Action is the height of the strings from the fretboard. Many fans of these guitars will tell you such an alteration robs the instruments of some of their distinctive sonic character. I kinda like the look of the vintage but any pros and cons? What is a Saddle? They are mostly integrated into a metal bridge with dedicated (per string) height and length adjustment controls. You can buy a device to increase string angle over the bridge, and therefore tension, which the maker purports will “improve tone,” but the only certain thing is that it alters the tone. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. It comes into direct contact with your strings, and as we’ll see in this article, affects action, intonation, and even the tone of your acoustic guitar. As such, the bridge’s solidity also greatly affects sustain. In fact, as Andy Powers from Taylor guitars explains below, the material used in the saddle has a far greater effect than the nut. This is because the springs in the vibrato unit offer a little “give” when you push the strings, and the added string length behind the bridge saddles contributes to this feel, too. Here’s the same saddle from above, where you can see the higher strings are set at a slightly longer length. We’ve all seen this type of saddle. 4. As we already mentioned, the type of saddle you find on electric guitars differs quite a bit. Essential Plucking Patterns for Fingerstyle Acoustic Guitar, All-Star Peter Green Tribute Concert Film to Be Released in 2021, One of Chuck Berry's 1967 Gibson ES-345s is Headed to Auction. Would you start practicing drums at age 30+? Best Online Guitar Lessons in 2020 – Reviewed & Ranked, Fender Serial Number Lookup – Find When & Where Your Guitar Was Made, Why are Some Guitar Pickups Angled? A significant part of my PhD and subsequent career was based on the design and subsequent analysis of trials designed to establish the statistical significance, or otherwise, of small differences. hey folks - just curious, what's the difference with the moden type saddles with vintage? Generally speaking, the further up the neck you go (towards the 12th fret) you go, the higher the string height. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the OP, not Frank's test. Tonehounds will venture opinions as to which sounds better, but the only sure thing, objectively speaking, is that changing from one type to the other will change your tone slightly. He's a multi-instrumentalist and loves researching, writing, and geeking out about music. This is the body-end termination point for your strings’ speaking length, and their vibration needs to pass through the bridge to get into the tonewood in the body. SteveDenver. I feel like a newbie all over again :D. No, the saddle sits on the bridge as a bridge railing on the string side (the left side if you're looking down at it perpendicular). ? I can state with a fair degree of confidence that, from the analytic viewpoint, that test is a load of rubbish with more holes than a decent Swiss cheese. For years, guitar makers have made saddles out of plastic. Try both. © This website uses cookies for functionality, analytics and advertising purposes as described in our, dang4 received 20 Gold Points from Tapatalk, EU For sale or trade bone nut & saddle + antique acoustic bridge pins, Bridge Pin, Nut, and Saddle comparison: Liquidmetal, Tusq, Ebony, Bone, Plastic - Article + Audio clips, https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/3-way ... 20190810-b, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=784456, http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/. I too prefer the appearance of the bent steel saddles but I don't feel that either type has a dramatic affect on tone (although I do believe there are subtle differences). for a guy, what is the difference between a fantastic chick and just average? Visit our corporate site. For that reason, the bridge is an essential link in the tone chain, ranking right up there with your guitar’s pickups and the wood the body is made from in setting the core tone of the instrument, especially if you want to hear deep, harmonically rich resonance throughout the body of the guitar. I'm not making a useful contribution to this thread and should just be quiet. For example, Gretsch guitars mounted with a Bigsby B3 or B6 vibrato tailpieces—which lack tension bars—will have fairly low string tension over a floating bridge, and the relatively light coupling of this setup is an important part of the jangle content in “that great Gretsch sound.” Similarly, Fender Jazzmasters and Jaguars are made with vibrato units that present low string tension over moving “rocker” bridges. It’s known for its bright, crisp sound. Not good! And don't be surprised if you pick up a different Tele and prefer a different saddle material with that particular Tele. Does an electric violin need a humidifier? On an acoustic guitar, the saddle is a 2” to 3” thin strip of material (see below for a list of the common materials used) set within the wooden bridge. Classical guitar saddles have never been compensated, and it’s sort of stuck! I have vintage on my Roadhouse and I had them on my EJ one stripped out and all guitar center had to replace them was the allparts kind. The saddle is one of two places on the guitar where the strings come into direct contact (the other being the nut at the headstock end of the guitar). For reasons of cost, plastic is most common, with synthetic plastics such as TUSQ, ‘nubone’, and micarta popular too. If your guitar is mellow and warm sounding to begin with, brass saddles may sound dull or muddy, and steel saddles will brighten and clarify the sound. With bone nut and saddle, between 10 and 18 seconds. I put zero stock in any of these tests. The high B string is often the one to get most compensation, as it’s quite a thick plain-steel string and needs a bit more length compared to its neighbors. These saddles are typically not glued in, meaning you’re free to take them out and lower them should you wish (lowering is done by cutting or filing away material from the bottom). When it comes to acoustic guitars, there are two main types used: a straight (or ‘uncompensated’) saddle and what’s known as a compensated guitar saddle. Please refresh the page and try again. 2. High string height isn’t necessarily a bad thing (gypsy jazz guitarists intentionally keep their action high, for example) but most players prefer to keep the action low as it makes it easier to play the guitar as you don’t need to apply so much pressure to fret notes (which makes lead work a lot easier).