It was fabulous and so were the pasties we enjoyed there. on April 24, 2012: Gordon, you reminded me of how good a pasty and ale as a Scot's pub lunch. Wow, I'm very surprised and delighted that there's a butcher that makes haggis here in the U.S. (Don't worry. Very good and looks beautiful. Season and brown, stirring with a wooden spoon. Chop each pineapple ring into 6 equal pieces and add to the mix along with the dried chilli flakes. Other than that, let your imagination run riot and enjoy! 1 carrot Mixing in all of that with my hobbies of blacksmithing and knifemaking, only makes for more f…. Take London broil, or rump roast and cut into cubes. Gordon, I think you've covered every aspect of making pasties in this hub! Unfortunately, there is very often a perception that there is little we can do to spice up this combination and enjoy it in a just as tasty but alternative fashion. Curries of so many different types—authentically Asian and otherwise—have become a huge part of much of the Western world's food culture in recent decades. Certainly, pasties are not something you are likely to see on a restaurant menu very often - cafes and pubs, yes. Hence the clapshot, which we never knew by its proper Scottish name, --- sadly :-( She would make parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, potatoes --- all boiled and mashed together. Ask your butcher for advice if you are not sure. Place approximately 1 cup filling on one half of each. About: Hi, I'm stephen, I'm a certified welder, working on my machinists cert, and working part time at a hardware store. Voting up! Cool 5 minutes before taking out of dish. *Authors note, if you want to add chopped onions, this is by far the best time, they gett cooked better this way, and taste awesome in the pastie*. I want one! :) I hope you enjoy your April turkey and anything else you try. Why not let your kids choose their own pasty fillings instead of buying them fast food from the local burger bar? If desired mix in some salt and pepper. Roll the biscuit dough to about 3 hands long and 2 hands wide. Chop a bunch of parsley and add to mixture. Add the chicken breast and stir to brown and seal evenly. 11 years ago The best toppings for a pasty are catsup and/or mustard of course, but some use gravy which, personally, I don't care for. Cook in preheated oven for 45 minutes or until golden. I am going to cook up a couple of those because it looks like fun. A pasty—for breakfast? This recipe takes that third option, using sweet potato and parsnip. It was on, "special offer," for £1, or about U.S. $1.50, which was probably about four times as much as it cost to make and many times more than it was worth. His plans are to begin to activate TraveLink in June with sufficient financing to pay all monies owed...and to move forward with much the same writer's team as previously. Brainy Bunny from Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania on April 26, 2012: I've never had a pasty, but I've wanted to try them for a long time. Gordon Hamilton (author) from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom on April 28, 2012: Interesting, JamaGenee. Hi, David. Reply It's a fun concept to get creative with so hope you have lots of success. I'm printing this and looking forward to trying the turkey recipe out long before the weekend. I hope these ideas appeal when you pass them on and are useful. Unfortunately the original owner, Myles Teddywedger, died very young, ca. Gordon Hamilton (author) from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom on May 09, 2020: Good luck with it, Shauna! 7 years ago There really are endless possibilities. Reply Mash. It was revolting! I made it exactly as is. I love pasties! This is a recipe for a awesome breakfast I cooked up about a week ago. Gordon Hamilton (author) from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom on April 23, 2012: Thank you very much cardelean and I'm glad you like the ideas! There are probably a number of people who love to make pasties but, like your friend, always use their own preferred filling. Always allow it (where appropriate) to cool completely before building your pasty, however inconvenient this may seem. He had the shop since about 1984. I LOVE Cornish pasties. Beef Steak Pasty With Baked Beans and Pickle. Update - I finally made the biscuit "ible" I promised, so now you can see how to make the biscuit dough like I do. When we were kids I remember having pasty slice with home made tomato sauce and now my own family love it too. 5 years ago I thought you may have tried pasties when you were on this side of the pond? Just choose the fillings you like and don't forget to "dot" with butter before you seal them up! Cornwall is undoubtedly the home of pasties and the standard by which all others are set. Gordon Hamilton (author) from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom on October 01, 2017: Hi and thanks for visiting and commenting. Fold over empty side of dough and crimp the edges tight. I always make extra: allow pasties to cool & freeze in individual foil wrapped portions. These pastries all look awesome the cheeseburger I want to try for sure .Nice recipes for lots of different ones. on Introduction. (but thats another instructable) table spoon of milk and one preheated oven(450 degrees), crack the 2 eggs into a plastic cup, pour in the tablespoon of milk and stir well. Thanks. Thanks for reading and for taking the time to leave your comment. Putting the beef on top allows the juices to soak into the vegetables as they cook. 114.3 g on Step 3, 8 years ago It adds much needed moisture to the pasty so it won't be too dry. Spoon on the pickle. one slice of cheese 2 slices bacon (you can also use sausage) 2 eggs, scrambled. Chock-ful of veggie goodness, it doesn’t need herbs to make it tasty. Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, 2 tablespoons baked beans in tomato sauce. Milwaukee? I'm delighted that this page has inspired you to try a new eating experience. Extremely similar to my family's pasty recipe. Glad you celebrated Burns and haggis - hope you enjoyed it. Yes, I also enjoy certain types of pasty with either ketchup or gravy - or brown sauce. My Grandparents immigrated from Finland to the U/P in MI and I grew up eating this style of Pastie. Post a link to another recipe or group by pasting the url into the box where you want it to show up. For those who thought it was bland the beauty of pasties - they can be adjusted to your tastes by adding other meats, spices, and herbs. Very great ideas. This recipe is pretty close to the pasties my mom and Grandma used to make. Brush edges of pastry with a little milk. Many young folks have never heard of them here in the U.S. I'd never bother with anything in a can -- especially a traditional food like haggis.). In a pot with salted water, add the potatoes. Apple pie for dessert and as many preserved peaches as we could eat. Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on May 25, 2018: We bought some yesterday in the Farmers Market but would really want to make our own and experiment on new combinations. Crimp edges to seal in filling. Good luck with your venture! Why not give them a go? Add a small amount of vegetable oil to a pot and quickly brown and seal the beef over high heat. if you come up with any great Ideas / modifications for this tell me so in the comments. The potatoes and turnip are boiled together before they are mashed and chopped chives are stirred through the combination. Good luck with your preparations! This recipe is a knockout, Gordon! Add diced peeled potatoes and diced onions and cook with meat and meat juice until potatoes are done. Some people use ground pork along with the traditional ground beef but most don't like the pork either. Fold the empty half of the pastry over the top of the filling and crimp the edges to seal. Roll out the pastry evenly to a square of just over 13 x 13 inches. Learn how to make this and other pasty variations! If you can find a small rutabega, it's easier to cut up. I love pastries and would like to experiment with more savory pastries. Use the Help Forum for that. Gordon Hamilton (author) from Wishaw, Lanarkshire, United Kingdom on April 21, 2015: Thank you very much, Elderberry Arts.