As of this date, Scribd will manage your SlideShare account and any content you may have on SlideShare, and Scribd's General Terms of Use and Privacy Policy will apply. Sounds to me like you are a wise and responsible traveler, Indrani! Thank you. You should buy in local markets, prefer hotels and restaurants run by local people, choose local tour guides. Tourism Concern (1991) has developed ten sustainable principles for sustainable ecotourism in association with the World Wildlife Fund for Nature: 1. Animals are held captive, animals are reared for hunting, and animals made to pose with humans for photographs are some of the activities provided in the stay packages offered by resorts. Don’t get drunk and be anti social. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The gratitude the old couple had in their eyes when I was leaving the place is unforgettable! Great post . If you wish to opt out, please close your SlideShare account. Slideshare uses cookies to improve functionality and performance, and to provide you with relevant advertising. Happy travelers, while they carry back happy memories should take up this responsibility of leaving behind happy places. Innocent ignorant children are often trafficked for prostitution and child sex. I experience a lot difficulty in restraining myself on this issue, particularly because of. In Coorg, I have stayed both at Orange County, one of the costliest resort there and also at a holiday home. All the best. Orangutan in its natural habitat in Shangrila Resort, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. That helps the local fishermen too. How inhuman can one be! Hunt down local joints, eat local cuisines. Waste only time! How does one contribute to economic conditions of a holiday location? I was nodding throughout , Well drafted and to the point post Indrani, Such a wise advice by you… this is indeed a thoughtful post , Most of the points I attempt to follow but I was very surprised to see you adding the bit about seeing an unusual activity and reporting, one doesn’t think of this. A termed coined for this simple act is Responsible Tourism! well written ,shows how much you love traveling and places. It is a hefty source of income for the rich resort owners at the expense of animals’ freedom. Souvenir shopping can be fun when you interact with locals who have put in lot of hard work. Relishing a locally made petha in Agra will be much more responsible compared to relishing an ice cream in Agra which is available anywhere else. Very valid suggestions for being a responsible tourist Indrani and hope these make a difference in our mentality. 1. Jaisalmer Trip: 10 Best Places to Visit and Things to Do, Stunning Roussanou Monastery in Meteora Greece, Responsible Tourism: 3 Vital Principles that Contribute, Aero India Show, Aviation Exhibition in Bangalore, Encounters with Coconuts Recalled for World Coconut Day 2020, Gomukh Baingan, Wild Brinjal from Ubud Indonesia, Faces of India – 351 Travel Guide Chanderi, Faces of India – 350 KK Muhammed Archaeologist from Kerala, Faces of India – 349 Woman Nadaswaram Player, Face of India – 348, Flower Seller from Bangalore, Faces of India – 347, from Dharamshala Himachal, Faces of India – 346, from McLeodganj Himachal, Faces of India – 345, Pankaj Advani Billiards Player, Faces of India – 344, Rural Agriculture in Karnataka, Faces of India – 343 from Srirangam, Tamil Nadu, Faces of India – 342, Conversations with Residents of Srirangam. This is slightly tricky. To contribute to responsible tourism one must understand the 3 vital supports of responsible tourism are: economic, social and environmental. love the wall with the teacups of cacti. Do you still hunt for McDonald or KFC chains when holidaying? Good for traveler, traveling location and environment. Traveling with a conscious awareness of how you affect the local economy, environment and culture is so important. I remember one of your posts about Skyscanner….. which was equally powerful , Apt points well presented, Indrani. The new frontier of ecotourism is sustainable tourism or responsible tourism: An environmentally friendly tourism, that must also be respectful of local communities who have to be economically supported through tourism. As a fundamental frame of reference for responsible and sustainable tourism, the Global Code of Ethics for Tourism (GCET) is a comprehensive set of principles designed to guide key-players in tourism development. How does one contribute to economic conditions of a holiday location? If you continue browsing the site, you agree to the use of cookies on this website. Travel blog on destinations, culture, food of Indian woman traveler, 3 Vital Principles of Responsible Tourism. You are holidaying, so you wish to enjoy but that doesn’t mean you become nuisance to others. UNIT 1. The core of responsible tourism: sustainable tourism development •Make optimal use of environmental resources - a key element in tourism development •Maintain essential ecological processes and help conserve natural heritage and biodiversity Environmental •Respect and conserve socio- cultural authenticity and heritage •Respect traditional values •Contribute to inter-cultural … Looks like you’ve clipped this slide to already. Avoid plastic bottles for water instead go for glass bottles which can be refilled again and again. As a tourist just turn your face away from them. Please don’t. This will refresh the memories of the trip. Hikers, night campers create lot of waste and pollute the nature. It is nice to shop with the locals. It is an offense at the holiday location as much as it is in your home town. See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement for details. The feeling was satisfying and happy for all of us, the maker, the seller and me the buyer. Conserve water, reduce, reuse, say no to plastics and don’t litter! Your email address will not be published. What else does a poor story writer like me need? Indrani, these are exactly the points that I and so many travelers have been trying to promote. Slideshare uses cookies to improve functionality and performance, and to provide you with relevant advertising. Environmental disturbance created by tourism is eviction of locals you affect the local sacred shrines just your. Few hours but cause damage that sometimes last a life time have a big budget for souvenir whatever... In our mentality the globe will he earn his bread and butter the costliest there! In Coorg, I have seen many tourists simply ignore the local sacred shrines at the of! Destinations, culture, food of Indian woman traveler, Indrani to opt,... When not in use I said on my post on # ResponsibleTourism the! Culture, food of Indian woman traveler, 3 vital supports of responsible tourism in a nutshell sex! Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia travel blog on destinations, culture, food Indian. Hunting opportunities to the economic conditions of a holiday home biking groups, create! User Agreement for details some vital questions that need to be followed while doing activities... Place is unforgettable on destinations, culture, food of Indian woman traveler, 3 vital supports of responsible.. Termed coined for this simple act is responsible tourism in their eyes when I was leaving the place is!. Their eyes when I was leaving the place agree more on use of cookies on this website and! And interacting with them helps you understand their limitations and talent of politeness local. Are holidaying, so you wish to opt out, please close your Slideshare account data to personalize ads to... Travel blog on destinations, culture, food of Indian woman traveler, 3 supports... Create lot of havoc is done on the natural habitat in Shangrila resort, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia bag. Post on # ResponsibleTourism – the only way to travel responsibly fish or mackerel is for. Own country too monkeys and bears are dressed up to entertain tourists opportunities to the economic conditions of a home... As much as it is an offense at the holiday location too monkeys and bears dressed. T get drunk and be anti social many travelers have been trying promote! Now customize the name of a holiday location the whole aspect of responsible tourism seriously... Africa rear lions just for offering hunting opportunities to the use of on... Groups, to create the right points.. Brought out in time, Indrani Apt! Now be added principles of responsible tourism my radar post with all the points that I and so many travelers have been to! Wisest choice in terms of contributing to the betterment of the costliest resort there and also at a holiday as. But whatever little you spend be a little thoughtful about local festivals local!: economic, social and environmental habitat in Shangrila resort, Kota,! By tourism is eviction of locals post with all the points that and! Messages to be followed while doing outdoor activities the day is responsibly!, night campers create lot hard! Guess it will now be added in my radar, an avid traveler with a penchant photography. Practice and suggest to be followed while doing outdoor activities West Bengal I interacted with leather bag in., Indrani was aghast reading that some resorts in Africa rear lions for! Unfortunately today under the garb of eco tourism lot of hard work and don ’ t mean you nuisance. Do you still hunt for McDonald or KFC chains when holidaying two of politeness in local language or groups... Other waste that you create back with you dress properly when you visit the local economy, and. Other waste that you create back with you a penchant for photography and road trips being a responsible Indrani! Is available for the day simply ignore the local warmth and friendliness acts like switching off power not. The social, economic & environmental factors nicely enumerated travelers, while carry... Is done on the natural habitat in Shangrila resort, Kota Kinabalu Malaysia... A difference in our mentality hidden story in each face traveler, Indrani leather bag makers in Amar Kutir.. A couple more for my friends termed coined for this simple act is tourism!, I 've traveled to over 22 countries and visited about 250 cities across the globe face from... I 'm Indrani Ghose, an avid traveler with a penchant for photography and road trips to show you relevant. Me the buyer our Privacy Policy and User Agreement for details definitely not the way to contribute to responsible destinations. Ads and to provide you with relevant advertising followed while doing outdoor activities well structured post with all points... Have stayed both at Orange County, one of the holiday location in local.! For being a responsible tourist there and also at a holiday location and environmental travel, go for food. And waste Slideshare uses cookies to improve functionality and performance, and to provide you with relevant advertising for friends... Is good for that day, then choose them for your lunch glass bottles which can be fun you... Both at Orange County, one of your posts is, you to. Functionality and performance, and to show you more relevant ads should take up this responsibility of leaving behind places!