Return it to the pan and continue frying until golden brown. You’ll need to wait for the green/yellow plantains to ripen, or turn black, sitting on your counter several days before you can make sweet plantains. I love soft, sweet, plantains that have a slight crunch on the outside. Learn, How to cook Jamaican food Fry Plantains. So, how do you cook Jamaican fried plantains then? They’re obviously a type of banana, but the ones we commonly eat are called “dessert” bananas and are generally much smaller. Love is easy... staying together is the hard part. Hello. © Imagines contained within the website are copyright free under a creative commons license [see the full content of this message in Disclaimer]. Return to Jamaican Cooking from Fried Plantains. Comments (0). For starters, plantains are fatter, longer, and greener in. Copyright © Simbis Inc. All rights reserved. I made rice and peas using gunga peas as my mother-in-law did. I started sorting and classifying the pictures and it led to a number of albums and galleries. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.). Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Place cooked plantain in a dish layered with napkins so as to drain/soak up the oil. I have had them with soy sauce, is that typical Jamaican preparation? Slice the plantains into 2 in the middle (width not length – like breaking a banana in 2). How to make Fried Plantains. In Jamaica plantains are boiled, roasted or most commonly fried. For example you cannot eat a plantain without cooking it while desserts are best eaten uncooked. The best in Los Angeles. Hi Shon, Maybe you’ve even seen some and thought, those are some mighty big bananas! My next try will be greater cake. Remove the plantain from the pan and mash it using a rolling pin until your desired size. However, you are free to experiment with other oils for deep frying. Today you can find plantains in most North American supermarkets alongside other tropical produce. The riper they are the easier they are to burn. I never knew it was this easy to make. Could you please let me know the name of the song in your videos, please? View an alternate. Peel plantain by making 2 incisions on opposite sides of the plantain skin and then peel. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Put one hot plantain slice into a Ziploc bag or between two folded paper towel. The biggest mistake people make is confusing plantains with their fruitier cousin, the banana. I bought a bag of green plantains from Costco and have been using it for plantain porridge. I love your enthusiasm however dessert bananas and plantains are very different; you will not get the same result. Join MillionaireMatch.com and Date a Millionaire, Wicked Temptations Bridal Boutique & Intimate Apparel. is essential to cut the plantains into thin and uniform slices, so they cook evenly and caramelize just right. Add the plantains and fry for 2 minutes each side. Slide your first finger along the incision and remove the skin. A simple yet splendid addition to a meal, fried plantains are often served alongside meat or eaten as a snack. Mikki is no different from any other person with a passion, late to bed and early to rise. Method step1 Remove the plantain skin. Thanks. As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. Mine always end up crispy even when I do buy ripe ones. The writer adores her family and seeks to leave her mark on this remarkable world. }); Hi, I am Juna. June 5, 2014 in Side Dishes | Permalink In Jamaica plantains are boiled, roasted or most commonly fried. choose this fruit. You should use a Medium-High heat. Hi, my name is Juna. Serve on it's own, or as a side dish, with a sprinkle of love. Eaten best when hot. I remember waking up to the aroma of authentic Jamaican fried plantains sizzling in the pan. If you opt not to add salt, then you can just fry it right after plantains are sliced up. From here, fry each side of the plantain about two to three minutes or until golden. If you take these comparisons a step further and touch the two, you will notice plantains are a lot firmer than bananas. They riper they are the thinner the skin and easier to peel. Because plantains are great accompaniments to any many dishes, Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. no secret to making this snack treat. Fried Plantains – Immaculate Bites. Carefully place plantain pieces into the warm oil. To make fried sweet plantains, the plantains need to be very ripe, meaning mostly black like in the image below. Fried plantain we make often. Aug 8, 2018 – Sooo good that you can eat it as a side dish to rice & beans, stews or on its own! Fry plantain slices until golden brown on each side. Do you serve them with salt? Let the pieces fry until they turn light brown around the edges. Slide your first finger along the incision and remove the skin. Blessings, Fay. Shipping and discount codes are added at checkout. The most common methods are boiling, frying, grilling, and roasting in the oven. 11ahleven Mars Drive - Where we take dating & relationships seriously cause we know even healthy relationships need work from time to time. Add the plantains and fry for 2 minutes each side. If it bubbles … Having trouble reading this image? Your email address will not be published. When the oil becomes hot, put four pieces of plantain into the hot oil. Fried sweet plantains are eaten on the side with savory dishes like Stew Peas and Rice or Ackee and Saltfish. Looking for Jamaican recipe ingredients & seasoning Shop Now in our ... Fry plantain slices until golden brown on each side. roast the plantains….they are just as good. Enjoy! Many of you may not be familiar with plantains, but there’s a proper way to prepare them. A fully ripe plantain is usually yellow with black spots…more But seriously, there is No, soy sauce is definitely not Jamaican but salt is used when making Pressed Green Plantains. Try not to break it up. Well, a ripe plantain, of course. Error type: Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them. On the other hand, Jamaican fried plantains have a more pleasant and sweet taste. Remove the plantain from the pan and mash it using a rolling pin until your desired size. The answer isn’t so simple. In Jamaica plantains are boiled, roasted or most commonly fried. For the last two pieces left, my husband wanted them fried. FRY PLANTAIN Featuring Jamaican Food / Fry Plantains. Slice the plantains into 2 in the middle (width not length – like breaking a banana in 2). We should note that plantains are a very healthy option to add to your diet and can be delicious if cooked the right way. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Growing up in the Caribbean had many perks, but the one I love so much is sweet. Fried green plantains are crunchy, a bit salty and very addictive. | The Liebster Award – Coming to a Blogger Near You! Each slice needs about 45 seconds to a minute to cook. It’s out of this world. Read more about the Jamaican experience by visiting here –. Now, don’t think that This recipe here, if you’d even call it recipe,… 11. With time, you’ll develop your taste for plantains and will prefer them a certain way. Plantains are sold in the supermarkets in Florida you can get salted codfish , goat and everything else. To comment, please enable JavaScript so you can sign in. If they are truly ripe, which means the skin will look overripe, they will be very soft when you fry them. Plantains are a staple food in most tropical regions in the world, such as Africa, the Caribbean, Central and South America. All you need are ripe plantains, peeled and cut into quarter-inch slices, enough oil to coat the bottom of a deep skillet, and some salt to taste. https://www.11ahleven.com/3940/food/authentic-jamaican-fried-plantains-recipe I am, self professed, an English girl through and through (with a bit of Italian thrown in)…but my family love the Caribbean, especially Jamaica and we are always sure to venture out of the big, flashy hotels in order to eat the proper Jamaican food when we are there! Twin Flames: Signs You Have Met Your Twin Soul, 11 Things I’m Thankful About This Thanksgiving In 2020, 6 Reasons You Keep Chasing After The Wrong People, What it Really Means When a Guy Calls You Sexy, 11 Good, Bad and Ugly Things About Dating a Jamaican Man, The Ugly Truth About Loving an Emotionally Guarded Woman, The Perfect Tonic Mist for Your Ethnic Skin. I then decided to put it into good use... and that's how this blog started. If possible, for frying I suggest buying plantains that already very ripe. Place the fruit on a cutting board and cut it into ¼ inch pieces at a 45 degree angle. In Jamaica, it’s eaten as a side dish. Fry plantain slices until golden brown on each side. Are you using vegetable oil or olive oil to fry the plantain? Method: Wash plantains in cold water to remove dirt from plantain.Using a sharp knife, make an incision along the entire length of the plantain.