I recently picked up a really nicely preserved style 2m soprano, complete with its original (vgc) Geib case, (now in a nice new Gator case btw), for a bargain price on US Ebay. The Style 5 were made primarily in koa, but a few of them they were available in mahogany. Bridge, front and back of the headstock, inside stamp, binding and fretboard. In some cases this may work in favor of the buyer, but most of the time it doesn’t. Sometimes, the size of the dots, tuners and the exact binding material will help but, for now, here is a general guide: it has frets an label on the front of the head nothing on the back,,,,,,,,the front of the uke has a crack it sounds great but there is a front crack ,,,,,,,,,,,,. A straight neck without any bowing is something to look for. An Unofficial forum for those who love Martin instruments - Founded by Steve Stallings, i have a guy trying to sell me a old martin uke i cant play one an i dont  have a clue what its worth any help would be great just tell me what you need to know an we can go from there. If you have a vintage Martin Ukulele for sale, please contact me at – no binding It appears to be “1 MONTE”, photo will be sent by separate email. Martin Style 5 and Style 5k Uke specs: Large vintage retailers like Elderly Instruments will have the expertise and experience to properly identify them, but many smaller shops don’t have that knowledge. Type: Suprano. No cracks or separations, original case. Tortoise shell binding on top and back, two white rings around sound hole with what looks to be a inner white binding on the top next to the tortoise shell binding and the bridge looks to be rosewood as is the fret board and solid mahogany neck Martin logo on head stock and stamp inside on back bracing …..I would like to know as close as possible the year of manufacture and what it’s monatery value is, thanks ! Until 1932, they continued to stamp the back of the headstock with CF Martin & Co. It is going to be mahogany or koa. The Koa On the Style 5 it will be a stylized plus sign. Age can be tricky to determine. And there were only 764 Style 5 instruments ever made. Bar frets all before WWII - Martin ukes were discontinued from 1940-42 depending on the model. Ukes made after 1916 do not have serial numbers and must They began with just four, Style 1, Style 2, Style 3 and Style 5. be dated by specification changes. Note that prior to 1919, Style 1, 2, and 3 did not have fret markers at all, but the Style 3 still had the double lines down the middle. Martin style 3 uke model made first in 1918, discontinued in the 1970s. Triple bound top binding with ivorioid outer binding. No serial #, has CF.Martin and co. Nazareth PA made in u.s.a on back inside. The primary wood for the lower three models of the instruments was mahogany. Most of the pictures you see on my posts are mahogany. The first Martin ukes, built in 1916, have serial numbers ranging from one Martin style 2 uke model made first in 1918, discontinued in 1965. Use TheUkuleleDude@gmail.com to send photos. I believe it’s a soprano 0, but unsure. If you share pictures to my email, I can provide a much better identification. Try them out and see which one you like the best and is in your price range. I just can't get it out of my hands. – appears to be mahogany with rosewood fret board All sizes are Hello, would you help me identify my Martin? on the SIDES of style 5k ukes during 1926 and 1927. I have a tenor ukulele that has rosewood front and back. The sound is unique and there is a sense of pride in owning an older instrument. In 1920, Styles 1, 2 and 3 were added to the Martin line. Mike. There are no WWII era ukuleles unless a few were specially ordered. I could email you some photos. I once tried to date a 5K but, alas, she was out of my league. 1970s: discontinued. Ukes have the Martin stamp on the back of the peghead until 1935. Recently the S-O (made in Mexico) has On the Style 3 it will be either two diamonds or a ‘bowtie’ with a inlaid line down the middle of the fret board. Most of the uke dating sites get it wrong. A nice shape low end '30's Martin mahogany Style 0 starts at about $500. My uke says CF Martin& Co. Also stamped on the inside of the back. I have 1 in the 5th, 7th, 10th and 15th, and 2 in the 12th fret. The koa tends to be a bit lighter. The 5K, Martin's most expensive uke, was first made in 1922 (at $50 each, quiet an expense in those days). There is a serial number inside the instrument where the neck joins the body: 30834. The tenor was available in all styles except the Style 0. First 200 or so ukes serial numbered, thereafter without. Doing some research witch lead me to your site we determined that it is a style 0 from the twenties. But if you like it and play it, that is certainly better than it sitting in a closet! Martin Style 2 Uke specs: If possible could you tell me the range of years of manufacture of this uke and what the stamp indicates? I have what I believe is a pre-1926 cf martin & company ukulele made in nazareth pa. Koa peghead veneer with pearl-inlaid flowerpot. – no serial# 1940: Style 5 mahogony body (same trim as 5K) introduced. The fancier style 5 I’m trying to identify a Martin I got from a car boot sale This was given to me by a contractor several years ago who worked on my house. Introduced in 1918, the first Martin uke model made. Martin Company for years, ever since I heard Brian Hefferan and Dave Passant playing their vintage Martins at various events. Can you advise how to send pictures to you Great site, Hello, I came across your information and wondered if you could possibly assist me to determine if the martin listed in this reverb link for sale is actually a 1920s martin style 1. 3 lines inlaid down center of fingerboard. The Martin stamp on the inside is different but I don't remember those details. Email TheUkuleleDude@gmail.com. Do you know if Martin ever simply had stamped their instruments particularly their cheaper models? In the early years that is all the did, the stamp on the back of the headstock. Decals can be added or removed, but impressed stamps are much more difficult. 1923: No peghead ornament, nickel plated pegs: 1940: Dot inlays replace pearl diamond inlays and inlaid lines. Earliest examples with boxwood bridge saddle and nut. Thanks. That says Type 1, 1935 or later. My wife purchased a box lot at an action. to less than 200. I purchased it from Rod this winter. Note: It has been alleged that Martin used Abalone additionally Friend gave me a used Martin ukulele. These basic parameters have not changed in the 100 years they have been in production. For example, in 1962 Martin added Sorry, but after checking all my references, none of them specify the sizes, only that they made them larger in 1945. Ukes have the Martin stamp on the back of the peghead until 1935. Style 0 if there is only one dot at 7. The market indicated the need for a lower end model, so they created the Style 0. You can see from the production tables that finding a koa instrument is much more difficult than finding a mahogany one. Hi. Production quantities during Mike:  Where did you get your info on the bar fret changeover? Doesn’t seem to match your identification guides, so, I think it is a knock off. I’d like to send pictures if I could. 1965: Style 1 last listed and discontinued. Peghead – black nut All of the models were available in both a soprano and a concert size. Very cool! Abalone pearl and black/white wood around soundhole. It wouldn’t hurt to have a humidifier! Split in surface of the head – minor