I mowed around that tree so … You can try to separate the chaff, which is good if you are trading seeds or selling seeds, but it isn’t necessary if you are just saving seeds for yourself. Zinnia seeds are about 1/4″ long. Grab a large dish and let’s get started. All you have to do is pull the petals apart carefully on the dried up bloom. I used a small knife to separate the seeds into a pile. Hope this helps. The height of the plant varieties varies from 4 inches to 40 inches depending on the variety. 3 – Open the seed heads and separate the seed. Keep in a cool dark area like a closet or drawer. Is it unusual to have a plant with 25 plus flowers at once..it’s huge. We always plant in front of the garden. Remove from bundles when petals are dry and brittle. Debbie from N.C. Place your seeds in an envelope and store them in a cool dry place until they can be planted. Thank you for all this information. I want to separate colors out. Yes if the seed is green its unripe and won’t germinate. The Lilliput Zinnias bloomed in reds, oranges and pinks from  this package of seeds.What I liked about them is they bloomed for months with no deadheading required. The first botanical records of this plant come from the notes of Spanish botanists Mocino and Sesse, who discovered the species growing in the wilds of southern Mexico in 1789. If it’s a hybrid the seeds will not come true but open pollinated seeds can be collected and saved from year to year. Zinnias do eventually fade and set seed. Native to Southwestern US, Mexico and South America, zinnias grow rapidly and require little care. Step 1. The pollen seeds are usually selfed, while some of the petal seeds may have been randomly pollinated by bees. Glass jars or zippered seed storage bags are a great choice. I know, that’s one less thing to worry about, right? Richford holds a Bachelor of Science in secondary education from the University of Maine Orono and certifications in teaching 7-12 English, K-8 General Elementary and Birth to age 5. Zinnias range in size from dwarf varieties (8-10 inches), to 4-foot giants. If you grow more than one color, it is wise to dry bundles of the same color zinnias for easy storage of separate colors. Garden Bloggers Bloom Day-The Cutting Garden, My Best All American Selection Plants for 2018. The main horizontal limb on our Haralson apple tree broke halfway through under the heavy load of apples. USDA Hardiness zone bvseo_sdk, net_sdk, 3.2.0.0 The Zinnia seed should be black on one end. Preventing apple tree breakage, how to save zinnia seeds and more The main horizontal limb on our Haralson apple tree broke halfway through under the heavy load of apples. Zinnia seeds are easy to save. Zinnia seeds are easy to direct seed into the garden, but may also be transplanted. To collect the seed, harvest the largest, driest, and ripest flowers. I have gone on and on about how much I love Zinnias. Its cool in the winter and probably around 40F.I haven’t used the fridge as storage due to lack of space. Usually by the time the top petals are brown, the bottom petals have fallen off. Thanks SO much! Thanks so much for your easy-to-follow post and photos! Be patient. I would recommend let the seeds dry on the plant. Not sure if any butterflies will come, though it would be nice if they did – we live on the 17th floor! Stop deadheading zinnias at the end of the summer to allow the flowers to develop seeds. For that reason, sometimes I separate my petal seeds from the pollen seeds and plant them separately. They are my first plants “built from scratch” to have actual nice flowers [the flowers on my chilly and tomato plants don’t count ]. I planted zinnias for the first time ever. I love the one plant that puts out peach colored flowers, and wanted to have some for next year. Store in an airtight container. Oh my I have been cutting off the bloomed out flower heads and tossing them. I will continue to collect the seeds as the plants die back. Your pictures are a great help. It's a good idea to wait a few days or a few weeks after the last predicted frost date. Harvest often for continuous blooms. Oh, I should mention, I live in Granite Falls Washington. Learn which plants thrive in your Hardiness Zone with our new interactive map! When the seed head is brown all the petals have fallen off. I made the big mistake of cutting off my flower heads much too early, so all I have are pre-mature seeds, bad seeds. Zinnias are annuals, native to Mexico belonging to the daisy family. I am grateful to come across this post of yours. In the picture below you can see the actual coneflower seeds. The seed head will break apart and seed will fall out. So when I wanted to collect seeds I had to really look for a few totally brown blossoms. It’s one of the most colorful and versatile ways to share nature’s beauty and garden the earth. The blooms that were on the plants had real staying power. When it's dry enough to crush or break apart with your fingers and there's no green organic matter it's ready to harvest. I went out with scissors in hand and had to really look down below the clump of Zinnias to find three blooms to pick. Just toss the seeds and they grow! This is the seed you want to keep. Leave the brown flowers on the plants so the seeds can ripen. I love zinnias, too! Lay out a tarp or sheet and put a flat box in the center. Zinnia seeds will not survive if they're exposed to frost. Take a dry zinnia flower, and "flail" the seed head--hit it gently to release the seeds, or pull it apart or rub it between your fingers over the paper plate to release the seeds. Could you add a piece of string to the stem to represent the colour of the plant? If you prefer mixed colors, you can dry them together to produce mixed seed. Have abundant blooms this year so will harvest the seeds. Lets see, its been almost three months since they were planted and they are still going strong. I’ve been growing Zinnia’s and saving seeds for years. Keep in mind that you want to encourage the best traits and to do that you must harvest seeds from plants that exhibit those traits.