Thank You Mr. Maz. Thanks for the great reviews and your honesty Barry. I'm also experimenting with strings, Has anyone tried Ken Middleton's Living Water Strings? FYI to various commenters: I have used the Ken Middleton Living Water strings on several of my instruments (soprano, concert, tenor, baritone) and I think that, generally speaking, they sound marvelous everywhere I have tried them. . Millar is our newest Ukulele brand here at SUS. Of course, the latter instrument would likely be considered vintage by many of today's younger players. If I find a 70's Martin, there is no way a reader can get an identical model which will have aged the same way.3. A bit later in the 1970s, I bought a vintage Martin 5-K for the then going price of about $250, but found that, as a player, I actually preferred my much newer Martin concert. Not only that, I have not found any wood (not talking laminates here) that sound as good as Koa. You have no items in your shopping basket. i agree on the need for large, bright, side markers. I use them on some too Joe - good strings. If you enjoy this blog, donations are welcomed to allow me to invest more time in bringing you ukulele articles. My concerts about my concert Martin are similar to what Barry said about this tenor. That is the only true way to compare. I seen other reviews of these Mexico Martins and seen some that the top and back woods are not the same. can you see the fret markers when you play? Nice wood grain for this price point. The neck is shallow or thin from front to nack. I can't really tell in your pictures but lean that yours also are not using the same wood sets. Having played both I must say I very much disagree! And yet another outstanding review by the Baz Man! The fret ends were rough but I fixed them in about 15 mins.....john. The only small complaint is the very thin neck near the nut. Did this ukulele come with an 'endblock' build on the inside of the body, that makes it easier to install the strap button on the outside? And is it very rounded, or something more like the Fluke? Light build weight and even balance. To me this is the bottom line: the sound that I hear and that which reaches my audience. How is the neck profile - chunky or thinner? This being my joy and my blessing: when it sounds right, grab it and take it home (after paying for it of course). In addition, I have two vintage Martin 4-string guitars (a small bodied tenor and a plectrum) which I string with Worth baritone uke strings for a deep, mellow sound that I enjoy. You see I bought myself a Martin T1K tenor ukulele recently - that is to say a NEW Martin uke, and not a uke made in Pennsylvania USA, but in Mexico - ie - one of their entry level models. If you don't know what to get the player who has everything for Christmas then you could certainly do worse than check these out... Covid-19 - Showroom now closed, but Website and Phone open for business! I think it looks better with no decal or you could get an original style decal and put it on. This Martin T1K Tenor Ukulele is made from All Solid Hawaiian Koa for a bright, bubbly "sunny island" sound and includes a free high quality Gigbag. Aside from the Google ads, I don't get paid to write this blog and for reasons of impartiality a not sponsored by brands or stores. I just bought a T1K and I think over all it's a great buy at 499. It's mainly aimed at beginners and I want to review instruments that others are able to actually buy. Martin has built the world’s finest ukuleles since 1916, and tenor ukes since 1929 that have long been prized for their full-bodied voice and great volume. me neither. Before I sold this one johhat - I put Living Waters on it - they worked great. Nice review. The smell, too, is very pleasant. I think the only way to make a true comparison is to just sit there and play them all in rotation. So why the debate? For instance, you frequently mention entry level ukes such as the Makala dolphin, and I have sampled (in music stores) some of the entry level Oscar Schmidt ukes which seem to provide much bang for the ukulele buck, not to mention the Ohana super concert that I acquired not long ago: A fantastic instrument that probably outdistances most of the current entry level Martin instruments made in Mexico. You must have JavaScript enabled in your browser to utilize the functionality of this website. and for that reason, they are useless. Later, I bought a vintage Martin baritone uke (probably 1960s) which I liked, but eventually found a Gibson baritone uke that I like considerably better (and still play regularly), and traded the Martin bari on the purchase of a vintage Martin 0-17 guitar built in the year of my birth. Thanks in advance! In my case, for instance, my first Martin purchase was a new concert model bought in 1961, followed by a new Martin soprano bought in the 1970s. I certainly don't think there is a single holy grail string that exists, What a thorough and fascinating review. The T1K tenor-sized model features top, back and sides crafted of solid Hawaiian koa, a … It looks like it's still on there in the pictures and, having tried one today in the shop I liked it but thought the action high there, too. The photos in the listing are of the instrument we currently have in stock. I guess it didn't really hit me until I saw this review that you have the Martin Tenor... and trusting your judgement on ukes of all sorts, I'm sure glad I happened to get the Concert in this line of Martins, also made in Mexico. Is this a common thing among the Martins in general? Copyright © 2008 - 2020 Got A Ukulele / Barry Maz - All Rights Reserved, Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License, The Martin T1K (note, strap button added by me! I have a number of nice solid wood ukuleles and feel my concert is a solid, well-rounded contender in their midst. Back in 2011 I bought my first truly serious ukulele - the Kanile'a K-1 Tenor. My location makes it hard to find reliable used dealers without one heck of a journey - easier for people to browse actual used instruments in say London but not for me. Totally right Barry.But i remember a review from you.That you have friends who own old Martins .Would it be fun just have one on Got a ukelele. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to the use of cookies. Your donations all go back into the site to allow me to keep bringing you reviews, and in the end the ukuleles acquired are given to local schools and charities. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. In conclusion, I hope you will post more of your thought process in saying you have no interest in acquiring a vintage Martin uke. Nice to see you added a strap button to it! Martin T1K All Solid Hawaiian Koa Tenor Ukulele inc gigbag. The entire body is finished in high quality satin lacquer, and features an applied dovetail neck joint. I own several guitars that I bought “on the spot”. Hi there...great site. The T1K Uke is a beautiful example of why Martin is still the name in superior quality ukuleles. The T1K tenor-sized model features top, back and sides crafted of solid Hawaiian koa, a wood native to Hawaii and a favorite of island players. The Flight Electric Ukuleles have arrived and they are as cool as they are crazy! This uke definitely sounds good, and the fit and finish is just fine. I partly buy instruments as a means to write about them on this site. Found the Martin strings far too bright for it. But I don't tend to give string recommendations all that much as choices are too personal. I am looking into getting one but no place locally has them. Click the logo to help. Click here to learn about cookie settings. As a result, we cannot show you the price in catalog or the product page.