When clean is the goal, get the singles. Phosphor strings are the most popular ever since D’Addario first released them in 1974. Thinner and mid-thickness picks work well on acoustics as well, but also give great voice to electric guitars. Notice how the first set is thinner across every string than the first. This is easiest to achieve using thinner strings. The only limit to your speed is your dexterity. There's just no arguing that point. The humbucker doesn't have enough midrange bark, and the split single doesn't have enough top end treble bite. A thin plastic pick will be flexible and more forgiving but may be to soft to play with other musicians or at faster tempos. note that I used to have thick strings for the same reason. Thinner strings are easier to bend, pick, perform legato and arpeggios and to add flavour to your playing. Bending and fretting becomes much easier and faster with a lighter set, but in my own experience you will have a “tinnier” tone that must be compensated for with your guitar and amp tone controls. For example, a .008 string is extremely light and would generally be used for the thinnest string on an electric guitar. Light strings take less effort to bend. I've seen that before." Or rather, it works, but a common complaint by those who use humbuckers that split to single-coil is that a) the volume drops too drastically when split, and b) the split-to-single tone doesn't sound "single enough". Very cool guitar. What is better in your opinion, thick of thin strings. Follow the general guidelines outlined and you can’t go far wrong. With singles, the one I know to have the most "thickness" to it is the P90. No, that doesn't exactly work either. With these strings a player can dare to push the outer limits of pace and dexterity. A typical set of 9s will run from a 0.009 string, to a 0.042 string (9, 11, 16, 24, 32 42). Thinner strings provide better clarity and speed for the picking hand. The thicker a string is, the more tension it holds. The higher the number, the thicker it is. Gone was the "thick" sound of the Gibson, replaced by the "thin" sound of the Strat. That means, in general, they’ll be easier to play for many beginner guitarists because they require less finger strength. Try not to make too much use of flimsy guitar picks, as you will have to exert more effort to get a good tone out of it. Standard acoustic guitar strings are between 0.011 to 0.012 inches for the high E and 0.049 to 0.054 inches for the low E. Thicker, tighter strings, plucked the same distance, are louder, because they contain more energy. Width. With singles, the one I know to have the most "thickness" to it is the P90. i use 2 mm for electric just cuz i have more control and i find it more comfortable. Andertons Drummers YouTube Channel: https://goo.gl/gjAEAs Very thick gauge strings (with the thickest string being 48 and heavier) tend to suit tunings from drop C and beyond. As the final and most important factor of all… The material of the pick is what ultimately … Each company has a different take on string gauge combinations. And even if you have 4 controls (two volume, two tone), you either have to turn one pickup waaaaay down or the other waaaaay up just so they're not fighting each other constantly. In my experience, both thin and thick guitar tones can't be had in the same guitar. The P90 brings the growl because it has more midrange response to it. Buy a T Shirt: https://goo.gl/4mRRyy The round core is wound with nickel-plated steel. But it won't replace a Strat or a Les Paul. Anyhow, I used to use Clayton Rounded triangle .38mm picks...more commonly known to my friends as 'pieces of paper'. A thin string gauge is ideal because you don’t have to put as much effort into fretting. It’s the feel, the warm tone, the ease with which they glide over the strings and, at 1.38mm, they are thick enough to change your picking style without feeling like you have changed instruments. It's great. But still, a Gretsch won't be as trebly as a Telecaster bridge pickup - nor would you want it to be. They are made of an alloy of 92% copper with 8% tin and some traces of phosphorus (around 0.2%). A .056 is very thick and would be the thickest on a six-string. If you enjoyed this read, check out more of our Learn articles! They fit the popular musical attributes of the genres. And yes, that's how they are supposed to sound. Perfect guitar, right? Hybrid packs usually comprise of thicker low strings and lighter higher strings. etc., etc.. Again, one with singles, the other humbuckers. Let’s compare two sets of strings: .009        .011        .016        .024        .032        .042, .011        .015        .018        .026        .036        .050. Look at those 3 switches below the pickups.