Stand Up For Something is a 2017 song written by Common and Diane Warren, performed by the former with singer Andra Day. "It all means nothing If you don't stand up for something," Day sang. The song was released as a lead single from the soundtrack album of 2017 film Marshall, and at the 90th Academy Awards received a nomination for Best Original Song. In “Marshall,” her song, which is performed by vocalist Andra Day, plays over the end of the film where we learn about the illustrious career of Thurgood Marshall, the first ever African-American U.S. Supreme Court justice. Sign up for our Email Newsletters here. Day and Common performed the song at the CMT Artists of the Year ceremony alongside Little Big Town, Lee … “By the time you see all of the amazing things that Thurgood Marshall did [at the end of the film], that’s when the song really pays off. Common (an Oscar winner for “Glory” from “Selma”) said he was inspired to write from the heart. He kicked off the track, which was nominated in the category of Best Original Song, with some poignant words of a perfect world where freedom dwells, immigrants get benefits and feminist monuments exist. Alice Brown Otter (Standing Rock Youth Council), Bana Alabed (author and Syrian refugee), Bryan Stevenson (Equal Justice Initiative), Cecile Richards (Planned Parenthood Action Fund), Dolores Huerta (Dolores Huerta Foundation, United Farm Workers of America), Janet Mock (#GirlsLikeUs), José Andrés (ThinkFoodGroup), Nicole Hockley (Sandy Hook Promise), Patrisse Cullors (Black Lives Matter) and Tarana Burke (Me Too) were among the 10 activists joining Common and Andra onstage during their Oscars performance. Common and Warren wrote the lyrics before and after Trump was elected. “The cool thing about ‘Marshall’ is that it is not a biopic. Make YOUR predictions at Gold Derby: Win prizes! “And Andra complained about too many words, but once you could nail them, it’s really cool,” she waid. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. EMAIL ME yup. https://oscars.fandom.com/wiki/Stand_Up_For_Something?oldid=55641. Common is no stranger to the Academy Awards, and Sunday night (March 4), he once again proved he can deliver a riveting performance in front of Hollywood's elite. “And then I could hear Aretha Franklin hanging on the bridge and that’s the way Andra did it.”, For Common, it was important to nail the simplicity because he has a tendency to “write like a jazz artist, going all over the place.” But his proudest lyrical contribution was: “Let the ways of love be the ways of man.”, “By that, I mean men and women,” he said. crossword clue. Oscar winner Common and Andra Day performed "Stand Up for Something," a nominee for … Get the latest updates, photos and videos for the 90th Academy Awards. The Oscar-nominated song from “Marshall,” “Stand Up For Something,” composed by Diane Warren and Common, has become a Trump era anthem for social justice, adopted by … Three years ago, Common and John Legend performed their Oscar-nominated track "Glory" at the 2015 Academy Awards. "Stand Up For Something" from Marshall is nominated for Music (Original Song) for Oscars 2018. “What an honor that something you write can really resonate like that. After a brief introduction from Dave Chappelle, Common was on stage under a single spotlight. Oscar winner Common and Andra Day performed "Stand Up for Something," a nominee for best original song, from Marshall at Sunday night's Academy Awards. Now we are looking on the crossword clue for: Singer who performed “Stand Up for Something” at the 2018 Oscars, accompanied by Common and various activists: 2 wds.. it’s A 129 letters crossword puzzle definition. “I wanted to get that energy from those songs that really want to make you change the world,” Warren said. The rapper graced the stage to perform the Oscar-nominated song "Stand Up for Something" alongside singer Andra Day at the 2018 Academy Awards. Next time, try using the search term “Singer who performed “Stand Up for Something” at the 2018 Oscars, accompanied by Common and various activists: 2 wds. This clue was last seen on Daily Celebrity Crossword, Crossword March 18 2018 In case the clue doesn’t fit or there’s something wrong please contact us! Download at the Apple or Google Play Stores to compete for best accuracy scores against our Experts, Editors and Users while predicting the Oscars, ”, ‘Dancing with the Stars,” “Big Brother” and all Hollywood races! Common used his Oscars performance to condemn Donald Trump’s “hate” and the National Rifle Association. @common @TheAcademy: This is what the #NRA and its members stand for. And join in the fierce debate over the 2018 Oscars taking place right now with Hollywood insiders in our movie forums. Nothing has really changed,” she reveals. '”, But Warren admitted that it wasn’t an easy song to sing. Common Official Music Video. Marshall tells the story of the first African-American Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall, and one of his first cases. Diane Warren declares her Oscar-nominated song ‘Stand Up For Something’ is a ‘rallying cry, a call to action’ [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO INTERVIEW] Rob Licuria Film They performed Best Original Song nominee, “Stand Up For Something.”. Also during the performance, Common seemingly took aim at President Trump. Each person standing on the stage is an activist chosen by Common and Andra to take part in the performance. She has done much of her writing for film and just received her ninth Oscar nomination for Best Original Song: “Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall” (co-written with Common). campus sexual assault) inspired her to continue writing rousing and socially relevant songs that would resonate beyond the film they appear in. '…, 15 best Thanksgiving episodes ranked, including 'Friends,' 'WKRP,' 'Bob Newhart Show'…, Alex Winter ('Zappa' director): Gaining access to Zappa vault changed documentary on musical icon…, 2021 Grammy nominations reactions: Music fans irate over 'sketchy' snubs, but give kudos to a couple of…, 28 biggest Grammy nominations surprises: We were shocked by Jacob Collier, Jhene Aiko, Black Pumas…, Blair Underwood ('A Soldier's Play') on the Tony nominated revival: 'There was a lot on our shoulders'…, "I’m almost halfway through it (wanna savor every moment) a...", "I think Taylor’s best chances for wins are Best Pop Vocal ...", "ciguanaba wrote: "Stand Up for Something," featured in the film Marshall and written by Common and critically acclaimed songwriter Diane Warren, was nominated along with “Mighty River” from Mudbound (by Mary J. Blige, Raphael Saadiq and Taura Stinson); “Remember Me” from Coco (by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez); “The Mystery of Love” from Call Me by Your Name (by Sufjan Stevens); and “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman (by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul). Privacy Policy | All rights reserved. What did you think of the Grammy nominations? Do YOU? The Oscar-nominated song from “Marshall,” “Stand Up For Something,” composed by Diane Warren and Common, has become a Trump era anthem for social justice, adopted by #MeToo, #TimesUp, the ACLU, and the National Women’s Law Center, among others. Once Andra Day began showcasing her powerful vocals dedicated to standing up for what you believe in, the blacked-out stage behind her began to highlight one person after the other in a spotlight until a group of 10 men and women appeared. SIGN UP for Gold Derby’s free newsletter with latest predictions, RSVP now to view our exciting new series of in-depth chats with major award contenders, Nov. 30 at 5 p.m. PT: 4 top TV cinematographers: “The Boys,” “The Queen’s Gambit,” Raised by Wolves” and “The Plot Against America”, Dec. 2 at 5 p.m. PT: 4 Oscar rivals for best film cinematography – “Greyhound,” “I’m Your Woman,” “Midnight Sky,” “The Outpost”.