Focus on sound and its effect on the viewer. e. ST re-opens barber shop, a. Anthony stands in the front of the house and sees Johanna who is sitting at the window and is staring outside and falls in love with her This is because the instrument being used in an organ and the pitch is very high, making the sound of the non diegetic music add suspense. The film is mainly told in temporal order, except for the first flashback in the first scene, when Sweeney Todd thinks back to the wonderful time he had with his family and his sudden imprisonment and the second flashback, when he thinks of the masked ball where the judge takes care of his family. e. arrival in London. b. Benjamin Barker with his wife Lucy and his daughter Johanna on the market Everyone is tortured and traumatized. A young man is revealed to be on deck and sings about his travels and that there is 'no place like London'. Relying heavily on counterpoint and angular harmonies, its compositional style has been compared to Maurice Ravel, Sergei Prokofiev, and Bernard Herrmann. He is standing on a ship with the sailor Anthony Hope and they are singing the song “No Place Like London”. b. Johanna wants to run away with Anthony The character “Sweeney Todd” first appeared in 1846 in a penny dreadful serial in the story “The String of Pearls”. Auditioners are encouraged to expand upon them or try different interpretations in the same vein. The relationship between Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett. e. ST is just about to cut his throat when suddenly Anthony enters the room 3.1. “A Little Priest” (finale of Act I) — This song sets up the events of Act II. Detailed description of the sequence Sweeney Todd fulfills the genre theory expectations, and delivers a cohesive balance between the genre attributes. Sweeney Todd (formerly Benjamin Baker) was exiled to Australia on a trumped-up charge, and returns to London to learn that his wife has poisoned herself and the judge that sentenced him to exile has taken his child. Fleet Street – Pie shop of Mrs. Lovett: a. ST gets to know Mrs. Lovett Second flashback Abbildung in dieser Leseprobe nicht enthalten, - Publication as eBook and book f. Turpin don’t want to come again because of Anthony Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I have chosen this sequence because it shows impressively how colours are used in this exceptional film to demonstrate different feelings and different times. Wickedrentq, thanks for the analysis. 3.3. A second man appears, older than the previous and immediately a more Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Sondheim's score is one of his most complex, with orchestrations by his long-time collaborator Jonathan Tunick. The character “Sweeney Todd” first appeared in 1846 in a penny dreadful serial in the story “The String of Pearls”. Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, Book by Hugh Wheeler The play's focus on corruption is announced by Sweeney in the first scene when he describes London as "a great black pit" inhabited by "the vermin of the world." ( Log Out /  e. ST suddenly spots Johanna in the chest, not recognising her as his daughter and nearly kills her throat too, a. Toby is locked into the cellar and discovers the macabre secret of ST and Mrs. Lovett We learn that Sweeney Todd is a barber and a murderer (“they went to their maker impeccably shaved”). He vows to exact (sweet, sweet) revenge on everyone who has wronged or slighted him by giving them “the closest shave” they’ve ever had. I mean, it’s working for that other woman who is (allegedly) using cats in her recipe. According to Raymond Knapp, "Most scene changes bring back 'The Ball… It would seem like a cheap cop-out, and ultimately ruin the show, if Sweeney Todd felt relief after all of that murder he did (we know for sure that he killed five people during the course of the show — Pirelli, Judge Turpin, Beadle Bamford, the Beggar Woman, and Mrs. Lovett — but that number is obviously exponentially higher, given the success of Mrs. Lovett’s meat pies at the start of Act II). The mood of the show is clearly macabre and very dark. Todd expresses a variety of emotions in this song: anger, at missing his shot; grief, for his late wife; revulsion, at the hypocrites and liars that surround him in London. I realize this isn’t anything specifically against the show, but it still kind of takes me out of the show. In this musical, he's a tragic character. i. Mrs. Lovett suggests to dispose the bodies by baking them into meat pies, a. Turpin decides to marry Johanna J,” and it makes me think of how abusive and manipulative the Harley Quinn-Joker relationship is. He re-opens his barber shop and while waiting to get the chance to kill him, many other costumers have to die. “Epiphany” is easily one of my favorite songs of Act I, and demonstrates the wide range of emotions one person can feel at any given moment. • Accompanying strings are now mezzo piano, growing in dynamics with the intensity of the song. c. ST wins the challenge, a. Pirelli comes and recognises and tries to blackmail ST T” makes me think of how Harley Quinn refers to The Joker as “Mr. b. Anthony hides Johanna in a chest in the shop See “A Note on Analyses” for more information on this type of post. c. Judge Turpin watches the family closely The puns! ( Log Out /  The mood of the show is clearly macabre and very dark. DVD version stars Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett and George Hearn as Sweeney Todd. c. Anthony is battered by Turpin’s assistant Beadle because of looking at Johanna, a. ST recognises Beadle There is no morality in Sweeney's London where "at the top of the hole / Sit the privileged few / Turning beauty into filth and greed." Mrs. Lovett is a well-meaning and somewhat innocent character, while Sweeney Todd, though jaded and cynical, still acts out of a misguided expression of love. “The Ballad of Sweeney Todd” (Prologue) — introduces the character and mood of the show. Return of Benjamin Barker alias Sweeney Todd (ST) with sailor Anthony First flashback Sweeney Todd Sweeney Todd blurs the boundaries between musical theater and opera and has, in fact, been performed by various opera companies. At the harbour, they get off the ship and Sweeney Todd sings about his former life with his beautiful wife and his lovely daughter. c. Toby (boy assistant of Pirelli) is put up by Mrs. Lovett The dead bodies are turned into meat pies which are sold by his accessory Mrs. Lovett. The Musical!” – Road to "1916". He was so close to exacting this revenge on the judge, only to have him slip away with Anthony’s sudden arrival. d. imprisonment of Benjamin Barker by judge Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” is a musical-thriller, was produced in 2007 and is based on the 1979 musical of Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out /  “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” is a musical-thriller, was produced in 2007 and is based on the 1979 musical of Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler. Eliot later used Sweeney in poems like ‘Sweeney Among the Nightingales’ and ‘Mr. - Every paper finds readers. The film is about the barber Sweeney Todd who has gone insane because of the loss of his wife and his daughter.