Pour into a serving bowl and chill while you fry the plantains (or cover and chill sauce up to 1 day). Heat over medium-high until an instant-read thermometer registers 375°, 7–8 minutes. Growing up in South Florida, I took for granted the smorgasbord of Cuban and Caribbean food that was all around me. water. Season with a big pinch of salt. Info. Drain on a plate lined with paper … Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Return the plantains to the 365F oil in batches, and fry about 2 more minutes each side. Using a fish spatula or slotted spoon, transfer plantains to prepared baking sheet. My Jamaican side is ashamed that I din't know about this recipe before! Tostones are best eaten right away. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Cut scallions into 1" pieces. Transfer plantains to a platter. Mmmmmm. Traditional Dominican and Puerto Rican preparation. Drain on paper towels, season with salt, and enjoy hot with cilantro-garlic dipping sauce. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Working in 2 batches, fry plantains, turning occasionally to ensure they don’t stick to each other or to the pan, until golden and starting to crisp, about 2 minutes. 2 green plantains, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks, Back to Tostones (Twice Fried Green Plantains) with Mayo-Ketchup Dipping Sauce. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Peel plantain along your score marks, then cut crosswise into ½”-thick coins. To peel the plantains, cut off both ends of the fruit. Goes very well with roast pork. They are great as a side dish or appetizer. christmas + thanksgiving + winter holidays, plantain press (tostonera) or a large can, OW! Tostones (Twice Fried Green Plantains) with Mayo-Ketchup Dipping Sauce, Congrats! I have never plunged head first i, With the leftover squid ink pasta from my eyeball, EYE put a spell on you! ✨ Reheat oil to 375°. Dipping sauce can also be made with pressed garlic and melted butter. (Do this while the plantains are still warm; otherwise, they become annoyingly difficult to flatten.). :: So, now, as a grown woman missing the tastes of Miami, I’ve taken to recreating my favorite dishes from my youth. Recipes you want to make. Cooking advice that works. Make sure you do otherwise the oil soaks into the plantains and you've got nasty moosh. Once peeled, slice the plantains crossways into 1 inch pieces. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in a 250° oven to keep warm. 484 calories; protein 2g 4% DV; carbohydrates 37.4g 12% DV; fat 38.8g 60% DV; cholesterol 10.4mg 4% DV; sodium 576.6mg 23% DV. After you fry them once and smash them dip in a salty warm water and pressed garlic solution Before frying again. All rights reserved. Do not try to get them too thin or they will break apart. Allow the plantains to cool slightly, then smash each piece of plantain in a tostonero or with the bottom of a clean can. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). The flavor and texture of the tostones is most perfect immediately after they're pulled from the hot oil, but you can hold them in a warm oven if absolutely necessary (as with French fries, the reheated version may not dazzle). Use gloves and make sure the plantains are at room temperature. Use the plantain press or large can to smoosh each piece of plantain (on the flat side) into a disk.