Approved. This species produces a sugary sap that is commonly used to make the same maple syrup you douse on your pancakes on Saturday morning. To remove tree sap from your car. At which time you’ll have to decide if it’s worth removing the tree from your property or simply adjusting your habits, like parking your car elsewhere. Goo-gone is another household product that can remove sap from your car. There’s an easy solution for this problem, however: pruning sealant. Editor’s note: While we hope to help you, Cars.com is not responsible for any damage that may occur to your vehicle by following the steps above. My cherished Rally Red 2001 Chevrolet Camaro stands out like a matador in a bull arena filled with pine trees, and I frequently have to remove sap during my weekly car wash. Sap will not immediately damage a car’s paint, but it should not be ignored. You can also find a commercial tree sap remover at your local auto parts store. Other diseases include bacterial infections and fungi. I haven't finished, I just gave it a quick try. If sap gets on your car it could incur some damage, so below is a comprehensive list to avoid tree sap and what to do to prevent your tree from becoming a sappy mess. Even if the wash doesn't get the sap off, the warmth of the water will begin to soften it, making it easier to remove. As with other household products, use caution when using a product not specifically designed to be used on a painted surface. Once they hatch, they burrow holes into the tree. Follow one of these methods to restore the clean, shiny surface of your car. My neighbor's tree is dripping sap on my cars all summer long. 2. Thanks. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. Using a dirty rag will only spread this across the surface of your car. ", save me the money I was going to spend on an expensive detail job. The same is true with the Japanese snowdrop tree, which can grow up to 25 feet with blossoms. If tree sap is a problem in your yard, the first step is to identify the tree. 1. Chad Zani is the Director of Franchising at Detail Garage, an automotive detailing company with locations around the U.S. and Sweden. Rub with a clean cloth and the sap dissolves right off. Just be sure to keep it closely flat along the windshield so you don’t scratch it. ", "Thanks a lot, really helpful it worked!". This may need to be repeated a few times. If the tree is a maple or other trees that are tapped for their syrup, this may be a naturally occurring sap. ", "Hot water, wd40, isopropyl alcohol and using q tips worked. Wash your car as soon as possible. Rub hand sanitizer on the tree sap. 5. Hand wash your car, then try car tree sap remover or rubbing alcohol to get tree sap off your paint. The tree combats this by producing more sap to fill the holes. While all trees produce sap, you can choose trees that will limit the amount of sap that can get onto your property. Price range for all vehicles (20,973) You may not have noticed the tree branch hanging overhead when you parked, but when you returned … Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. The goal is to take the tree sap off your car while leaving the paint on it. I will try. ", "Hand sanitizer works great, takes it right off, very easy. If that fails, use readily available 91% isopropyl alcohol instead of mineral spirits. As a bonus, you'll use less product, leaving more for future touch ups as needed.