Specifically, the endless supply of fresh blackberries, ready to pick, wherever you go. , Vegan Blackberry Pie Refrigerate one ball of dough while working on the second one. Ingredients 15. If you let the butter melt in the dough while handling it and rolling it out, the crust becomes too soft, and you lose that flakiness. It is a lot of fun to make and is to die […], Your email address will not be published. Set aside. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap, compress it to a 4-inch disc and chill in the refrigerator from 1 hour to 3 days—the dough can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months for later use if desired. Or cut the second pie crust into desired shapes using a cookie cutter and arrange the shapes on top of the pie filling.) Reserve remaining dough for the lattice top. Then I thought, let’s get really “technical” and add a lattice-top to the pie, because I like a good challenge. 1 cup whole wheat flour 2 tbsp. can’t wait to try this! Take extra caution that you don’t overmix. 1 cup fresh blueberries A new tradition has begun! (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({ Remove the other piece of parchment paper and form the dough to the pie pan. Add around 5 tablespoons of the ice cold water and pulse until the dough comes together into a rough ball. Turn the dough a quarter turn with each roll as you roll it out, forming a circle. We all loved it. You will want to put actual ice cubes in a small bowl of water to have ready to go when you make your pie dough. SIGH. Prep Time: 1 Hour That’s it, folks! Gently smooth the dough out into the pie dish. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and flour, Spoon the mixture into an unbaked pie shell (your unbaked vegan pie shell! 13. I feel like most vegan adapted baking recipes are really wonky or include weird ingredients most home cooks don’t have. MAKE THE BLACKBERRY PIE FILLING: If using fresh blackberries, wash the blackberries and lay them out on a clean towel; gently pat dry. 5 cups fresh blackberries; 1/2 cup organic granulated sugar + additional 1/4 cup ; 1/2 cup all-purpose flour; 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk such as almond or coconut milk ; 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon; 1 tsp. Required fields are marked *. Take extra caution that you don’t over mix, Drizzle half of the chilled water over the mixture then gently toss using your fingers, Use the open palm of your hand to press down the dough to compress it, Break up the dough with your fingers and compress it again, Cut the dough in half inside the bowl with a spatula, Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap, compress it to a 4 inch disc and chill in the refrigerator from 1 hour to 3 days -the dough can be kept in the freezer for up to 6 months for later use if desired, While dough is chilling, make the blackberry pie filling (below), After pie crust is finished chilling, cut two pieces of parchment paper to 12 inch by 12 inch size, Unwrap one of the dough disks, place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and cover it with the other sheet of parchment paper, Roll the dough out from the center until it goes out to the edges of the parchment paper, Remove the top layer of parchment paper and carefully flip the dough over into a pie pan, Remove the other piece of parchment paper and form the dough to the pie pan, Gently lift the pie crust with one hand and push it into the plate with the other hand, Go around the perimeter and tuck and fold the outer edge under the crust so that it’s uniform with the edge of the pie plate & flute the dough with your fingers or press the edges down with the end of a fork to shape, For lattice crust – use second dough ball, roll out flat and cut into 1/2 strips, Across the pie do perpendicular criss crosses with one strip under then one strip over, like you are weaving a basket – this is the lattice, Serve with your favorite non-dairy vanilla ice cream or this simple. 1/2  tsp. Serves: 8 Thank you so much Jaclyn!! 3 cups fresh blackberries Make sure the dough stays cold throughout this process, and minimize the time it takes between leaving the fridge and entering the oven. 6. Dash of cinnamon + nutmeg 1/4 cup cold vegan shortening, cut into cubes This step goes with the above rule about keeping your butter cold. 5. 1 1/2  cups all purpose flour Fold the edge over, towards the inside, and crimp with your fingers or a fork. Add the cold butter and pulse about 10-12 times, until the butter pieces are the size of little peas. 1. Using a fork or a pastry blender, cut the vegan margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand. (Gently wrap dough around the rolling pin to transfer it.) (You won’t use all of the egg mixture.). Kindness can change the world. This looks AMAZING! It starts with a lightly-sweetened, 5-minute biscuit-inspired topping that’s vegan butter-free, relying instead on coconut oil to give it that quintessential crumbly, flaky texture. 1½ teaspoons salt the photos are to die for! Homemade lattice-top vegan blackberry pie recipe, Easy vegan pumpkin pie recipe for the holidays, Tastiest balls to hit your mouth: Vegan Oreo balls recipe done two ways, The best vegan chocolate dessert recipe ever, 5 of our favorite ready to eat allergen friendly desserts, ¾ cup  vegan margarine such as Earth Balance + 6 additional Tablespoons, ½ cup cold water + 3 additional Tablespoons, In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, salt and sugar, Using a fork or pastry blender, cut the vegan margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Drizzle the other half in and toss again. I love that you added blueberries to the blackberry classic. for even more delicious vegan recipes! 14. The oven should already be preset and ready to go by the time your filling is prepared and your dough is rolled out. Combine 3 1/2 cups berries with the sugar and flour. 1/2 cup organic white sugar The highlight of this summer was definitely blackberry picking for me, and baking my first ever vegan blackberry pie with my lovely friend, Forrest. Place blackberries in a large bowl. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature of the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown. tablespoons). fresh lemon juice; Directions. (If you do not wish to make a lattice-top pie, you can simply put the full second pie crust on top of the pie and then cut slits in the top for steam vents. Your email address will not be published. BLUEBERRY DELICIOUSNESS!!! I agree – sometimes when I am looking for a good vegan recipe to make I don’t have 1/2 of the odd ingredients on hand. Pies tend to strike my fancy, especially this time of year, so I decided to dive in and give it a shot. ¾ cup vegan margarine, such as Earth Balance, + 6 additional tablespoons Prep time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (crust needs to chill for 1 hour in fridge before use).