don’t tie them up to rug, if they sidle up to you when the rug appears put it on; if they walk off twice don’t put it on. This is a question I see on a weekly basis on social media, even more often when the season is changing. NA means that I wouldn’t want a rug of any kind on unless there was a medical reason why. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. He spends most of the year naked, only in a fly rug or rainsheet until he is clipped and even then, in the 3 winters I have had him, he has never been in more than a 250g and has always been really toasty. is the horse the type to move around a lot in the field? Buying an ex racehorse: problems to look for and avoid! Eager for a new challenge in the school? You may use these He was a lovely horse to be around and to ride. Horses are mammals and they maintain their internal body temperature at around 38°C through a well-developed mechanism known as thermoregulation which has developed through evolution so that the body temperature is maintained within a narrow range. Rugs prevent any cooling breeze from cooling the body. how long are they going to be in this rug for. Since there are so many different types of clip, this table assumes a clipped horse has a minimum of a blanket clip. A Basic Guide to Rugging Horses . Some horses will need heavier rugs and some might not need rugging at all. So, to celebrate their popularity, here are a few unmistakeable signs that your equine best friend is of the TB variety…. Some horses like being warmer whereas other benefit from being that bit cooler. Whereas, a Poor Doer is a horse who really feels the cold or needs help putting weight on. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Ruby Butchers and EquiPepper with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 4. Eager for a new challenge in the school? Native ponies with a small bib clip may not need extra protection and warmth although a thoroughbred who is fully clipped will. If you are one of these people you can read my personal guide here. First the science bit. Now if this was fully clipped I could maybe justify this. EquiPepper was born from Ruby’s love of thoroughbreds and passion to change the negative stigma surrounding the breed. Some questions I would also ask myself are: Below you can find a table of how I personally would go about rugging a horse based on how much of a good doer they are and whether or not they are clipped. Since I can’t give you the perfect answer to what your horse should be wearing, I have instead created a guide of how I would go about choosing what weight rug to put on a horse. ask your horse/pony!! Inspired by her first horse and ex racehorse Highland Rain, EquiPepper aims to improve the welfare of horses around the world by educating horse owners. How to stop a horse eating their straw bed? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I also think we have a bit of a culture now of thinking because of how we have bred our horses for performance, that they aren’t capable of keeping themselves warm any more. Take Scottie as an example, he is a very warm thoroughbred. Your email address will not be published. they have a field shelter and some drystone walls, but exposed to the north. He spends most of the year naked, only in a fly rug or rainsheet until he is clipped and even then, in the 3 winters I have had him, he has never been in more than a 250g and has always been really toasty. Should you breed a mare with Kissing Spines? Besides, it’s all worth it when you get on the gallops, right? Getting Togged up! I had him till he was 32 and for most of that time he lived out with just a decent rug and a field shelter, never had any problems with his feet. A horrible day might need a heavier rug and a really sunny day might need a lighter one. Get your copy now, with a FREE Shires catalogue: http://bit.ly/HR_SPR20_SHIRES_BUY #NewIssue, DJ Murphy (Publishers) Ltd Olive Studio, Grange Road, Tilford, Farnham, Surrey, GU10 2DQ, Thinking about stepping up to Elementary? Obviously we don’t all have enough rugs to go up in 50g weights, and you don’t need to go out and buy new ones. Scottie fully embracing having the winter off..... © Ruby Butchers and EquiPepper, 2020. is the weather likely to get much warmer/colder in the next few hours?